Sunset Platy's staying at top of the tank? Little worried

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mog

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I introduced 12 sunset platy's to my community, 75g tank about 5 hours ago. They ate well, swam around the tank exploring their new home and everything seemed fine. But now I notice 8 or so out of 13 are hoving near the surface, ocassionally making a dive or taking a real short swim. One looks as if he's actually sucking air from above the water line.

I've been a little concerned about oxygen in the water, using a fluval 304, 85% stocked tank and all the other fish are doing their own thing. Now 2 look as if they are breathing air... I havce the duck bill below the water level and its swirling the water around the surface, but I don't have it high enough where it's "splashing" at all.

I've had issues with the fluval 304 not having enough pressure after shutting it down to do a pwc, and it seems like it might be low. This is my first time using one and it's used... how much pressure, using the duck bill, should it have? If it's above the water line completely on the back side, should the pressure reach the opposite side (front)? Flow seems okay in the tank, but this is my first aquarium. Being new to this equipment, I'm just a little nervous...

It's a low tech, planted tank. Starter plants in for the time being.

Could there be an oxygen issue? Or is it just in their nature? It's my first experience with platy's and would rather be safe than sorry.

As I went to turn off the lights, I noticed a couple of small groups of bubbles. One on the side of the tank, one hung up on a plant hitting the surface. It looks the same as when my Betta bubbles his tank. Could that be what the Platys were doing? Does it mean anything?

Thanks for your help!

My mother has some platys and they are pretty active. They swim around and do their own thing. Staying at the top, I have not seen at all from them. When the female is prego she will stay near the bottom and dwell in caves.

As for the filter I have no experience with that one so hopefully some one else can come and help.

What would also be helpful for us is if we knew your water parameters. PH,NH3, NO2, and NO3. Also temp would help.

The water temp is 77, PH 6.8, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates 20ppm.
They seemed a little more active this morning, but I was only able to view them for a minute or two before I had to head off to work.

I raised the output a little higher last night so that it's actually agitating the surface a bit, rather than just swirling it around. Not sure if that made a difference or not. I know they need time to adjust to the new tank, but they seemed fine after putting them in and then feeding them later. It wasn't until they were in the tank for a few hours that they started congregating near the surface, which is what had me concerned.

Since this is my first aquarium, I have a lot to learn and would rather be cautious, make sure the fish are happy and ask from those who have experience :)

I just added some new fish. One being a double barrel platy I think its called. He's just there in a corner by the surface. The other play I got is a sunburst platy and he's (she )all over the tank. I hope the other one is ok.

I'm posting this update in case anyone searching in the future runs across this.

I was really concerned and decided to open my fluval 304 and check to make sure it was not clogged due to what seemed like poor flow. The floss was very dirty... the bottom almost packed with soot, dirt, whatever. I cleaned half the floss, put the filter back in place and my output increased by 30-40%! So yes, my filter was not creating enough output, flow, agitation, oxygen, etc.

My fish seemed a lot happier this morning :)

I floated the bag and added a cup of water 5 times, 15 minutes apart. then added them to the tank. They seemed fine after being put in, it wasn't til 5 hours later or so that they started congregating near the top. This morning, after fixing the filter last night, they seem to be fine. There were 2 or 3 near the top, but that's it.

So hopefully it was just a lack of flow/oxygen in the tank. I'll see how they are tonight.

Any thoughts on the small bubble nests they made? Identical to a Betta, but small nests and bubbles.

My platy's are doing the exact same thing. I thought it had to do with the area of the tank. They are congregating in between the heater, and the filter in/out tubes. The temp is 78 F, and all levels are normal, including Ammonia is 0. I acclimated them yesterday, they swam loved it, everything was fine, the ate fine, but then started congregating up in the corner. I have a HOT Magnum running, with new carbon, and my GloFish, seem to be doing fine. I don't think it is an oxygen level issue.

Well, come to find out, it wasn't just my platy's after all, pretty much all my fish are taking turns at going up into the corner.

2011_%205_%206_%208_57.jpg

Back
Top Bottom