Super fat zebra danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fastfly48

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all.
Well...I haven't posted here before and thought I might becasue I have some REALLY fat zebra danios (2 to be exact)!
I don't like the look of them much anymore becasue of it so I was wondering if anthting was wrong with them.
I'm certainly NOT overfeeding so I guess they must be spawning or something? Recenly they have started acting wierd...hanging around the back of the tank being really shy, which is strange for a danio.
They are also occasionally going spastic, like diving into the gravel and the plants and chassing each other.

All of their other functions are normal...they are just fat. I don't see any in the shop this fat so I guess i must be doing something wrong....
any ideas?
cheers.
Ry.

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.). 2 zebra danios
2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values. ammonia .2 too high prob. But that's from (I think!) the aftermath of my green water problem. I dosed the tank so now I guess the algae has died and polluted the tank water. Right? temp. 24*c...pH medium/medium hard.
3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up? 20 Gallons...3 months
4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. over the back...aqua clear 20 gallon
5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 9 fish. 2 zebra danios, one giant danio, 3 neons, 1 cory and 2 bristle nose.
6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? yesterday! How often do you do this? once a week. How much water do you remove at a time? about 10%
7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? the zebra danios for about 2 months.
8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? yes, but they were fat before I added the extra plants and wood.
9A~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? um..."complete fish food" by aqua sonic. I haven't changed the diet. I barely feed them anything. Nothing is left.
I even skip feeding at least a day a week.

Hope all that helps! Hope it isn't too serious!
thanks in advance.
Ry.

In addition to answering Devilishturtles questions, pay close attention to their behaviour, when you say their functions are normal but the go spastic, that is a sign there is something wrong.

thanks for the replys guys!

ok...no their scales are certainly not popping out, already checked for that one, sorry I forgot to mention it!

Yes they are still eating. They'd eat it all if I wasn't carful in who gets how much!

Behaviour....well with the light off (tank light) they are confident and active but when the light's on they are being super shy, hanging around the back corner of the tank behind a rock and under the heater.

When I first set up my tank I had 3 danios and they acted just the same, but they weren't fat. Somehow, alas, they died, beginner mistake (bad water changes) by me :(
these 3 are the replacment three if you like...

I don't know why they are so fat. The only reason I can think of is breeding related?

ry

Back
Top Bottom