Super hardy fish wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Hi all, off to my sisters in a few weeks and meant to help get her tank sorted. I need to get a regular pwc schedule going but to date all her fish die. Live bearers and catfish mainly tried so far.

What do you find to be really hardy fish for say a 20 to 30gal? Ph will be about 7.5 I suspect. I was thinking of seeing if the lfs had small barbs? What about large snails - how hardy are they? Must be cheaper fish as well. If the tank looks a hopeless case I won't try re-setting it up but comments appreciated.

Hardy Fish

Hi all, off to my sisters in a few weeks and meant to help get her tank sorted. I need to get a regular pwc schedule going but to date all her fish die. Live bearers and catfish mainly tried so far.

What do you find to be really hardy fish for say a 20 to 30gal? Ph will be about 7.5 I suspect. I was thinking of seeing if the lfs had small barbs? What about large snails - how hardy are they? Must be cheaper fish as well. If the tank looks a hopeless case I won't try re-setting it up but comments appreciated.

Hello Del...

I'd say Platys for those who prefer livebearers and most of the species of Danios if you want an egglayer. Zebras are likely at the top of this list.

I keep a lot of Black Platys and Rosey Danios. As long as the tank is a reasonable size, well planted and you change out the water frequently, they'll stay nice and healthy for a long time.

B

Hello Del...

I'd say Platys for those who prefer livebearers and most of the species of Danios if you want an egglayer. Zebras are likely at the top of this list.

I keep a lot of Black Platys and Rosey Danios. As long as the tank is a reasonable size, well planted and you change out the water frequently, they'll stay nice and healthy for a long time.

B

Yeah, I think it's the lack of water changes. Idk, she has tried platies and guppies - no survivors :( I know there is heaps of algae, not sure on plants. Going to be interesting!

I thought of danios but wasn't sure if they needed a lot of space? Otherwise pretty tempting.

Danios should be fine in a 20 or 30 gallon, provided that the former isn't the "tall" design. Zebras are super-easy.

I cycled my 1st tank with serpae tetras. Then had them with semi aggressive sa/ca cichlids. I ended up rehomeing them all.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just had a thought too that her tank will get warm over summer, probably 28 to 30 C (82 to 86F). If that makes any difference? The tank is inside but open plan house.

They are fine its any other fish in the tank that are delicate that they will pick on. I got rid of them when I got angels

Harlequin rasboras, cherry barbs, pentazona barbs, and the honey gourami are all hardy options.

Just had a thought too that her tank will get warm over summer, probably 28 to 30 C (82 to 86F). If that makes any difference? The tank is inside but open plan house.

Endlers do very well with different temperature

Sent from my iPod touch 4th generation using Aquarium Advice app

I've got platy fry if you need some - free! :D. Just kidding. Different continents.

Lol - I was thinking of taking over some Molly fry but thought that might be tricky at the airport :)

Cherry barbs I was thinking could be possible as well.

Is it just me but I find live bearers not as hardy as egg layers???

Zebra danios need cooler water than some of the others, don't they?

Black skirt tetras are super tough, although they can be a bit aggressive if you get less than 6

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Head and Tail lights, cherry barbs, black phantom tetras, Bolivian rams, keyholes, all peaceful, hardy and good for the tank size. Hopolo cats are pretty hardy too but get a little bigger. Silver hatchets are fine too as long as you have a lid.
I'd consider the following ;
1 keyhole
1 Bolivian Ram
5 hatchets
5 cherry barbs
5 bp tetra
2 hopolos
They'll swim at different levels and look good.

Ideally in a 30g or as close as poss.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lol - I was thinking of taking over some Molly fry but thought that might be tricky at the airport :)

Cherry barbs I was thinking could be possible as well.

Is it just me but I find live bearers not as hardy as egg layers???

Cherry barbs are a good choice also

I checked - apparently the temp gets up to 28C or 82F. Sorry, was going astray there. Thanks for the replies to!

As background:

These have to be super tough and easy care fish though. Fish that would survive the dodgy but well meaning neighbours looking after them.

I don't know how she does it but at a guess has to replace her stock every 9 to 12 months. I know, I know - will have to investigate when I get up there. She is trying but something is going wrong, loses interest a bit, then tries again.

To be honest, I'm almost at the stage of suggesting a nice betta to her. It would be pretty under stocked. Idk, then again it might get fin rot and not get recognised.

Back
Top Bottom