super hot tank 90°

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o.jonathan.o

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well my tank is really hot due to no AC. Will the little blue ice paks work if I put them in the tank with a zip lock bag ?

Its a 10g and I have 3 small ones but I don't want to cool it rapidly

i duno if this will work for you, but it does for me. In the summer months from June-August, my tank can get up to 85-89 degrees. So what I do is:

1) take off the lid during the day. This will allow any trapped heat escape as well as better oxygen.

2) when room is stuffy, I open windows. (every bit helps)

3) I put my desk fan horizontal to the water at safe distance.

4) 2 plastic bottles quarter filled (to float a bit) with tank water and frozen. Filling with tank water will also allow tank itself not to overflow when placing them in.

Here's a pic taken minutes ago:
img_1482877_0_cdab3a6b9b2770bbef808715640e4667.jpg

There are other ways as well such as moving tank to cooler area in house. Might move mine to basement so temperature isnt such an issue.

I agree with your logic about not changing the temps too rapidly. Another option would be to take the zip-lock and put 5-6 ice cubes in it and let them float in the tank.

If the filter current is running across the bag it will help the water cool fairly evenly. When the ice melts you should check the temps and try again until you are satisfied. The theory is the same whether you use ice or the blue packs, it just sometimes takes a while to refreeze the blue packs. In that same time you could already have ice cubes freezing.

Edit: I just saw Vaux's post. Thats a great idea too! Saves on the zip locks and they are reusable... :)

I agree to as well. I like the blue packs because they are reusable forever I also came up with a concept of running tubes across the water with a coil in a freezer with water going into a system loop. Kinda expensive but it will stay the same temp. As long as you have a heater

Just an update. So I made my own light and I also bought a small fan at Walmart. Here is the update. The tank went from 90° to 76° in about 4 hours. It works great so far. First pic is just a basic front view. Second is the almost top view. Third is the fan I'm using to cool it off. It's mounted on the wall about 6in. from the top of my tank water. It truely works miracles and only cost $6.00

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110806_000135.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110806_000135.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20110806_000202.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110806_000202.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 80
  • ForumRunner_20110806_000225.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110806_000225.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom