Supplementing my stubborn Betta's diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can also try Java Fern in Betta Bowls.
I call them bowls if they are unfiltered.

1g is pretty small and will get dirty very fast. One of mine was in a 10g with a canister filter and lots of Plants. The other is going into a 3g planted tank and will be adding a nano filter. Probably a Red Sea.

Bettas deserve clean water. High Ammonia acts like an acid bath !

I have to agree with Coursair! You definitely will need to do pwc very often in a 1 gallon bowl especially since there's no filter. If you want your Betta to live a long and healthy life you must do this IME and opinion. Also my Bettas and I have 3 different ones in 3 different tanks absolutely love peas. I buy them frozen boil them and then shell them so they only get the meat inside the pea.:)

I'll change out the water ASAP.
The little fellows have been eating more..one just gobbles up the little balls and the half moon eats it spits it out over and over then finally finishes it..I've been removing any uneaten food after a couple of minutes.

Are you soaking the pellets first before you give them to your betta? The pellets puff up in water and they will puff up in your betta's stomach.

Boogety48 said:
Are you soaking the pellets first before you give them to your betta? The pellets puff up in water and they will puff up in your betta's stomach.

This is why Darcy you will want to feed your bettas peas once or twice a week. Their good for digestion and help prevent bloat! + if your bettas are like mine they will enjoy the peas my bettas even like to play with them, lol! They carry them around in their little mouths to show their tank mates it's sooooo cute! :)

I haven't soaked the pellets..should I do that first? Someone had suggested it.. In a little of their tank water?

+1 Bettas do better in a bigger bowl, or better yet a tank. In a small bowl you need to change the water several times a week to prevent ammonia poisoning. A liquid test for ammonia is a good way to see if water needs changing. They also need a small heater to live their best life. They can survive at room temp, for a while. But don't you want your fish to be his best and live his best life? Fish stores make a lot of money by telling people they can have a fish cheap and easy. Its an impulse buy for most people who wouldn't otherwise spend the kind of money it takes to properly house a betta. What they don't tell you is your fish will probably die way before its natural lifespan. Plus, they are way more entertaining and active if they have room to swim. Ok, rant over.

My Betta likes flakes and loves Hikari Spirulina and Brine Shrimp, and lately he plays with algae wafers. I would be careful feeding pellets because of the bloating issue. Good luck!

Thank you! I just replaced the water in their bowls..and until I get them bigger homes I'll replace the water every other day. (Or most of the water)
I'm going to try switching up their food between pellets and some other types of food..and definitely peas! Thanks for all the advise!! I enjoy going back over all the suggestions especially food ideas!!..:)

Darcy cole said:
Thank you! I just replaced the water in their bowls..and until I get them bigger homes I'll replace the water every other day. (Or most of the water)
I'm going to try switching up their food between pellets and some other types of food..and definitely peas! Thanks for all the advise!! I enjoy going back over all the suggestions especially food ideas!!..:)

fantastic :) remember if you have questions please ask... I think alit of us have been down the betta path. I have had 4 total and 3 died from improper uneducated care :( I feel so horrible to admit that

rreekers said:
fantastic :) remember if you have questions please ask... I think alit of us have been down the betta path. I have had 4 total and 3 died from improper uneducated care :( I feel so horrible to admit that

I know what you mean. I won't go into my guilt about my hermit crabs and parakeets. :( I'm glad The Internet came along to make research so much easier.

Hholly said:
I know what you mean. I won't go into my guilt about my hermit crabs and parakeets. :( I'm glad The Internet came along to make research so much easier.

I guess I don't feel so bad about all those poor sea monkeys!!!...haha! ( Sorry I couldn't resist!! )

Back
Top Bottom