Supporting the Local Fish Store

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They aren't really taking advantage of you, IMHO we are too used to super-cheap online prices and then we feel ripped off when we see something being priced higher. It's hard for stores to compete with online prices. That being said, I'm not going to pay $20 for a $5 bottle of prime just because it's a local store. You do have to draw a line. But, I think that higher prices should be expected when buying locally.

I do agree with this, however sometimes the difference between an online and a store price is so different it really gives me pause. I think we are being naive if we believe that they couldn't back off of their prices on some things like that 20 dollar bottle of prime that is 5 online.

But they do severely over stock.

heavy overstocking is common in stores, even some of the best stores don't have their stock in suitable permanent homes, because after all, those tanks aren't their permanent homes.

I do agree with this, however sometimes the difference between an online and a store price is so different it really gives me pause. I think we are being naive if we believe that they couldn't back off of their prices on some things like that 20 dollar bottle of prime that is 5 online.

Well yes, I am sure that they can lower their price a bit, but honestly, if NOBODY was buying it at that price, they would lower them. Some people are obviously buying at that price if it isn't being lowered. It boils down to what people are really willing to pay for the product. And if I were in charge of a store, and people are paying $20 for a $5 bottle of Prime, there's no way I would change the price :lol: If people are going to throw their money at me, I will do nothing to stop them :cool:

Ive never bought anything online except thru craigslist and I have to show up to get it so not sure thats really the same. Ive always bought locally. all my hardware comes from small hardware stores not hayes or true value, lowes or home depot. I wont give chain stores my money if i can prevent it. I used to be able to buy filter media from a store in westbrook till they closed down about 5 years ago (now i have no choice but to buy my batting from walmart which kills me). Finding a decent fish only store is becoming harder to come by. At least here in maine anyways.

I have a question for everyone. So, I don't know about you guys, but my LFSs are small private businesses with people who enjoy the hobby as much as their customer. I have learned most of what I know in these stores.

Question is, have you ever over-paid for equipment at your LFS just as a courtesy to small local businesses that are helping you out?

Reason for question- I'm seriously considering knowingly over-paying just to support the local business. I could get my filter on-line much cheaper, but part of me just wants to buy it from this store.

I am a poor soon to be college student so usually I hit Amazon. Occasionally I might over pay but not alot. Besides that my LFS didnt win me over from the get go. At first they were very rude. Recently (in the last yeat) things have changed. Some of the people are kinder some dont work there anymore. Makes me more willing to help out. Where before I shopped only because if necessity but now I actually enjoy shopping there. Lol they know me by name. Even on the phone!

Well yes, I am sure that they can lower their price a bit, but honestly, if NOBODY was buying it at that price, they would lower them. Some people are obviously buying at that price if it isn't being lowered. It boils down to what people are really willing to pay for the product. And if I were in charge of a store, and people are paying $20 for a $5 bottle of Prime, there's no way I would change the price :lol: If people are going to throw their money at me, I will do nothing to stop them :cool:

I guess you got me there, lol.

I love my LFS! I want a certain pair of angelfish and the owner of the store is making a trip to his angelfish breeder to specifically pick out the best pair for me:) he has also helped my fiancée learn more about African cichlids and get his tank in good condition. We are welcome to go in the basement of the shop which is for their specialty fish and extra stock that most people aren't allowed to see. We can even net and bag our own fish if we want. We are planning on getting a 220 gallon with a mahogany stand that is usually priced at $1900 but he is giving it to us for $700 at only $100 profit to him. There are never any diseases and he is happy to help us in any way and teach us what he knows. I am more than happy to pay extra for what he has because this place is amazing!

I love my LFS! I want a certain pair of angelfish and the owner of the store is making a trip to his angelfish breeder to specifically pick out the best pair for me:) he has also helped my fiancée learn more about African cichlids and get his tank in good condition. We are welcome to go in the basement of the shop which is for their specialty fish and extra stock that most people aren't allowed to see. We can even net and bag our own fish if we want. We are planning on getting a 220 gallon with a mahogany stand that is usually priced at $1900 but he is giving it to us for $700 at only $100 profit to him. There are never any diseases and he is happy to help us in any way and teach us what he knows. I am more than happy to pay extra for what he has because this place is amazing!

I want to move to where you are lol

Wow, what a great place! Sounds wonderful. (y)

The store I go to isn't quite that extravagant, but the guy that owns it is great. I never get any sick fish, either and he will order what I want if its not in stock. The other night, I did find that I had a sick fish problem and emailed him at like 9pm and he responded within 15 minutes! Unfortunately, we lost the fish but he went on to give me tips on monitoring the tank and other fish to make sure we don't have any more losses.

That's really awesome too. My only problem is that John and Patty (the owners) are difficult to get ahold of and don't have a website. The driftwood is insanely expensive though but I will pay it for their help. I've even seen John chip away a piece of rock for a customer so that it would fit right with another rock.

They aren't really taking advantage of you, IMHO we are too used to super-cheap online prices and then we feel ripped off when we see something being priced higher. It's hard for stores to compete with online prices. That being said, I'm not going to pay $20 for a $5 bottle of prime just because it's a local store. You do have to draw a line. But, I think that higher prices should be expected when buying locally.

IMO ... this is a thread that should be revived every few months. I agree with bud29 that it's tougher for LFS's to compete with online prices. It comes down to how trusted is your LFS? I have a couple trusted LFS's that I feel will not steer me wrong. They give me solid info and don't try to over push products.
If they're stock and produces are a little more than online, it's a no brainer.

However, a line does have to be drawn between $20 for a $5 bottle of prime as mentioned.

I try to always support the local mom and pops, regardless of the type of business. However, there are times when I have no choice but to go to the big box retailer or to the internet.

I have several independently owned fish stores in my hood and within a 100 mile radius and I always give them the opportunity of finding a hard-to-find fish for me before I take my business outside of that radius. In fact, I have been known to travel for hours to purchase a certain kind of fish from an independent shop, when I could have had it delivered to my door for about the same cost (when you factor in the price of fuel). Furthermore, there's a euphoric rush to knowing you're about to buy that species you've been researching for for a long time.

It is much more important to me to support the independent shops than to save a buck here and there, but I understand that not everyone is in that financial position.

David

Right now I am looking at getting a light for our aquarium. I found one that will meet my needs for less than 1/2 the price than what the LFS quoted. I will show it to him and see if he can match the price. If he can get close, I will get it from him. As much as I hate it, if he can't, I'm going to have to go with the on-line price.

Back
Top Bottom