Surface swimming sign?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adamatic

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed tonight that my dwarf puffers were hanging out near the top of the tank. It seems like the otos are also. Could this be a sign of oxygen deprivation? I did a PWC just in case but I'm wondering if I should add an airstone. It's a 5gal planted with DIY CO2 with 2 DPs, 2otos and a halfbeak. Haven't had time to test the water yet but I will tomorrow...

One sign is they hang out around the water return (usually). Or where there is alot of surface agitation and therefor more oxygen. Are they just staring at the surface or are they in turblent water.

I guess it was kind of near the water return... I already did a PWC - is there anything else I can do tonight?

Can you adjust the water level so there is more turblance?

It sounds like they are looking for more oxygen. If you have a HOB filter, you can remove some water from your tank to create a bigger splach at the surface. Even adding an airstone will help. What is your water temp at?

Higher water temps will also deprive your fish of oxygen.

your tank might already be a little in the small side so maybe taking water out to make a more splash might not be such a good idea? what i did in my 10 before i added a air stone was put a piece of card board where the HOB filter meets the tank to hold it up maybe like 1-1.5 inches should be good.. hope that helps?

your tank might already be a little in the small side so maybe taking water out to make a more splash might not be such a good idea?

You wouldn't be removing a large amount to hurt your fish. Just enough so that your outflow doesn't touch the surface of your water.

maybe they are anticipating food ???

my fish have started to swim closer to the surface because they know that's where the food is !!!

Wow. Thanks for all the help. I checked the water quality but nothing registered - obviously due to the PWC. Everyone seems to be doing okay now, though. I'll keep my eye on them...

Back
Top Bottom