Surprise, I'm a peppered cory fry grandma!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyndaB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday, I was so surprised to see a little peppered cory frybaby in my tank!

He was coming out to munch on one of the algae wafer pieces I tossed in the tank. I no longer put entire wafers in but rather I break them into pieces so that the tank inhabitants aren't all on top of each other eating and he was at one piece with an oto, some shrimplets and baby assassins.

I was shocked to see this little squiggle next to the other species. I called my husband over to see. I'm like "what is that?!?" and then I gasped and told him, "it's a baby cory!". I had to use a magnifying glass to know what he was.

I'd been blessed enough to witness my cory females popping the eggs out onto the tank walls, but then I'd see the assassin snails immediately go on the hunt. This little guy must've been laid in the java moss, is all I can figure and the assassins missed him. Not sure how old he is, he's not even 1/16th of an inch in size. :eek:

He was very shy and very quick, and in the one picture I got of him, you can't tell what he is, but I'll certainly try again soon so you can witness the incredible cute factor.

Thanks, they are an awesome species. I just adore all of my corys.

I was particularly amazed because all of my tanks are "let nature takes its course" tanks. I don't go out of my way to have live fry and I'm of the mindset that whatever happens, happens. That way, I don't get all stressed out about the whole baby thing.

Sometimes, I think it's because of my mindset that I'm so over the moon when I do see these little miracles. :flowers:

Thanks all!

It's weird to me that research shows that corys will eat the young fry. The adult corys swim right past shrimplets. Why would they be interested in eating their own species and not another? :ermm:

They didn't even seem to notice him yesterday. What I've found is that the fry with a strong sense of self-preservation survive. This guy looked like a survivor, that's for sure. I'll toss some fry food into the java moss to afford him more protection while he grows out.

Good news! Saw the little bugger at last night's feeding so he must have a good hidey hole somewhere. He may very well be the only cory fry in the tank. But now, I have tons and tons of shrimplets. It was like watching an episode of The Jetsons last night, little shrimplets flying through the water everywhere. I wouldn't have wanted to be an air traffic controller in that tank! :ermm:

Edited to add: I got a picture!!!!!!! WHEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Didn't have time to post since I was literally on my way out the door, checked the tank, saw the little bugger and snapped two or three shots before he scooted back to his hidey hole (which isn't a hidey hole anymore since I know where it is). Hope to post a pic tonight!!! :D

Very jealous! I've had cory eggs on multiple occasions but no fry just yet :(

Well, let's see if the link works....... :)

Attachments

• cory fry1.jpg
    cory fry1.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 167
Hard to believe the little dude is less than 1/16 inch when you look at the pic, although those grains of sand look like boulders. :lol:

LyndaB said:
Hard to believe the little dude is less than 1/16 inch when you look at the pic, although those grains of sand look like boulders. :lol:

Wow, you must have good zoom on your camera!

Back
Top Bottom