Survey- Your tank size versus filtration flow rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
10x?? I'm putting a Emperor 400 and a Fluval 404 on my 125...is that going to be ok for three Oscars in that tank. I should have the tank put together in the next two weeks but I won't put fish in until I cycle it...learned that from you guys. :mrgreen:

Nascar#17 said:
10x?? I'm putting a Emperor 400 and a Fluval 404 on my 125...is that going to be ok for three Oscars in that tank. I should have the tank put together in the next two weeks but I won't put fish in until I cycle it...learned that from you guys. :mrgreen:

Oscars are messy S.O.B's, I had one oscar in my 110 and he kept my Emperor 400 and the (2) Magnum 350's working pretty hard. :D If you keep up with the filters and clean them often, that will probably be enough though. If not, you can always add another filter later.

Wondering if a pond filter can be used for 90 gal FW, they have higher GPH rates for really cheap. Could 1 pond filter that filters 500+ GPH be used instead of say 2xAquaclear 500's??

Anyone else tried this?

Just look at my Sig,
75gal - 2 AC500's (modified with bio-wheels) = 13x
10gal - AC300 (set on low) = aprox 20x
10gal - AC200 (set on low) = aprox 13x

ChileRelleno said:
10gal - AC300

8O Watch that your tank doesnt tip over! :lol:

I have an Aquaclear 200 on a 15 gallon tank and I have another AC200 that I put on if there is a lot of junk in the water after maintenance, otherwise the spare 200 goes with my 10 gallon QT. I have an Aquaclear 150 for a 10 gallon grow-out tank, a Whisper 5-15 for a 5 gallon fry tank, a Sandshark submersible filter in a 2 gallon hex for a Betta, and spare AC150 and Aquatech 5-15 filters for whatever needs them.

Yes, yes, I know...
Its overkill, but I had the filter just sitting around and you can't over-filter.
I have set on low and some pantyhose over the outflow so as not to blast my Bettas with too much current.

I have various smaller filters, internal, sponge and ect, that I have for fry-tanks, QT and general purpose. I keep media for them primed in my regular filters, instant cycle if I set-up another tank :wink: .

About 700gph on my 55, housing one oscar.

Maybe over kill, but no biggie, I plan to upgrade in the future. Might as well have good filtration and some good seeded filter media when I change.

Going by everyone elses numbers I'm now concerned about my 150gal. I'm running 2 X Eheim 2028 filters and from my calculations combined they only put out 330gph (I grew up on metric...I hope my math is accurate).... Seems low to me for such a big cannister. (Website claims 750l/hr actual output) I do run a large powerhead to help circulation but am I still lacking overall filtration??
jt

Bad Jeff said:
Going by everyone elses numbers I'm now concerned about my 150gal. I'm running 2 X Eheim 2028 filters and from my calculations combined they only put out 330gph (I grew up on metric...I hope my math is accurate).... Seems low to me for such a big cannister. (Website claims 750l/hr actual output) I do run a large powerhead to help circulation but am I still lacking overall filtration??
jt

How long has your aquarium been running? Is the water clear? Is there debris floating around? Are the water tests showing up as "o.k"? If you answered Yes to the last three questions......you have enough filtration. :D

Gulp said:
Nascar#17 said:

Oscars are messy S.O.B's, I had one oscar in my 110 and he kept my Emperor 400 and the (2) Magnum 350's working pretty hard. :D If you keep up with the filters and clean them often, that will probably be enough though. If not, you can always add another filter later.

Well, I ended up putting both my Emperor 400s on the 125 because I couldn't comfortable get one of the 400s to fit and run on the 55 I also just got. It splashed too much and I couldn't get the light fixture back on right with the 400 on the 55 tank. So, now I have the two 400s on the 125 tank and a Fluvual 404 that I'm contimplating putting on the 55 tank. Is this the right way to go or should I get something different for the 55 and put the 404 on the 125 tank also...

Thanks.

3 AC300's on my 55 gallon, turning over 900 GPH. Turnover rate of 16 times. That has become my precedent. Any new tanks I setup will have a turnover rate of 15x or more.

Back
Top Bottom