Sustaining Assassin Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoppingtetra30

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I got a few snails, Im assuming, on the plants I put in my tank. There was probably a dozen or so, so I went and got a pair of assassin snails to take care of them.

The two assassin snails have been doing nothing but breedingfor like 3 months. They are on each other all day, everyday, its crazy...anyway, the other (pond snails?) just exploded while they were doing their thing. There must have been a hundred of them in the tank, then their doom came...baby assassins!

There is at least a dozen of them I can see and they have just had a field day cleaning out the other snails...they are super aggressive.

So, my question, how do I sustain these little guys? If they wipe out the other snails what do they eat? I'd just like to let them get to a good size then I'll trade them in at the LFS.

Ive been dropping in a little extra frozen food like shrimp and blood worms in hopes they get it...is that sufficient/a good way to go?

So I got a few snails, Im assuming, on the plants I put in my tank. There was probably a dozen or so, so I went and got a pair of assassin snails to take care of them.

The two assassin snails have been doing nothing but breedingfor like 3 months. They are on each other all day, everyday, its crazy...anyway, the other (pond snails?) just exploded while they were doing their thing. There must have been a hundred of them in the tank, then their doom came...baby assassins!

There is at least a dozen of them I can see and they have just had a field day cleaning out the other snails...they are super aggressive.

So, my question, how do I sustain these little guys? If they wipe out the other snails what do they eat? I'd just like to let them get to a good size then I'll trade them in at the LFS.

Ive been dropping in a little extra frozen food like shrimp and blood worms in hopes they get it...is that sufficient/a good way to go?

We had the same problem. Ours all died out. We had so many babies! I was under the impression that they would eat left over food but didn't have luck that way. Maybe ask your lefs for pond snails?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They will eat the extra blood worms but make sure that your fish are not getting to them first. I also believe that assassins can eat algae if there is enough so maybe algae wafers

Go to the search function and search for snail trap/feeder.

You can make one of these (or buy one) you can put algae wafers or blood worms in it and the fish won't be able to get in.

The snails won't be able to get out though so you have to let them out after that have eaten. Just do this a couple of times a week.

Back
Top Bottom