SW tank turning into FW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fergieturk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,
I have a 20g L with an Eclipse hood that I was using for my SW fish, but they were moved into a 165 g. Now I want to move my fish from my 10g to the 20g. I plan on cleaning the 20g very good, but with the Eclipse hood there is a biowheel which has been in SW for about 8 months. My question is should I get a new biowheel or keep te old biowheel?
The 20g is empty right now, but this weekend I plan on filling it and putting in some of my gravel from me current 10g.

Bearfan said:
New biowheel. The bacteria are different. And clean clean clean.
I was intending to use just freshwater to clean, clean, clean. Is there something better, perhaps vinager and water or diluted bleach solution - with ample rinsing?

I recommend just water, the chance of trace elements remaining scares me. Typically a flat razor blade (if it's glass, NOT acrylic) and clean water.

If you let the bio wheel dry out, the bacteria will die and the wheel should be just like a new one with no growth on it. I"d give it a really good rinsing though. JMHO.
Logan J

I only worry about the salt build up and such. New wheels are cheap. You could let it dry out and die, this would work, but for the couple of bucks I would replace it.

Back
Top Bottom