swapping filter media and transporting it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
So my stepbrother has a 10G tank back where he lives that he's gonna set up. I have the foam part cut out of a filter catridge stuffed into my AC50. I used it to seed my tank.
If I take this out to seed his tank do I have to worry about a mini cycle in mine? I have the foam insert, seeded gravel, the cut foam cartridge pieces, and biomax media. In my filter right now. My tank is 30 gallons and also has a whisper 10 filter in it. Its fully cycled and levels are perfect. Been established for a few months.

And also if I transport the foam cartridge pieces in a small container full of my tank water will the bb stay alive? The drive is 3 hours.

Any help is very appreciated

It will stay alive and if you have your own filter cartidge in the filter along with his you should be safe. If your replacing his with a brand new one then it will more then likely cause a mini cycle.

His is not established at all. I'm worried about it causing a mini cycle in mine by removing the small section

You may cause a slight mini-cycle in your tank, but it should be minimal as long as you don't remove too much. How large is your tank and what is it stocked with? The actual bioload of your tank and the expected starting bioload of his tank need to be taken into account IMO. As long as you are both watching your parameters and prepared to do a couple extra water changes, I'd say that it is a great way to kickstart a tank.

My tank is a 30 gallon with.
-2 angelfish
-7 corydoras
-1 bn pleco
-2 amano shrimp
- 3 glass catfish.

I had 5 glass cats but the rest perished bc they would not eat. It might be a little over stocked. Idk. My levels test out perfect, even my nitrate. Its moderately planted.

His is a ten gallon and were gonna start off with a few microfish. Maybe some shrimp too.
And the cut out filter foam isn't taking out very much of my filter. There's lots of media left in it and another filter in the tank.

And I have another question. I used the gravel in a media bag to seed my filter. Is it doing much for my tank? Does it even have a lot of surface for bacteria to grow?

Back
Top Bottom