swapping tanks & cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

El_diablo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hiya guys n gals,

Wasn't sure if I'd posted to the right thread so il giv it a go on here

Iv got the oppertunity to buy a 100 us gallon aquarium and iv currently got a 30G but I don't hav space to cycle the 100G while the 30g is still up and running. My filter in the 30g is suitable for the 100g (good salesman ship in my LFS "u can't over filter" more like the price on the big filter suits u better) so... Can I do a straight swap from my 30G into the 100g with the filter, plants, ornaments, gravel, water etc so I wouldn't hav to cycle the 100g obviously the new tank taking the good bacteria from the old tank??? Cheers peeps

You can do that. Swap out everything gravel filter everything but make sure the gravel as filter media stays wet with tank water. After you do that you will probably go through a mini cycle so just watch your levels while the bacteria catch up for the extra 70 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Cool thanks for the info

My filter is an aqua flow 500 XL but Iv jus realised il need a bigger filter as it's only suitable for upto 55 gallons I miss read the info on the box it turns over 132 g per hour, I got my wires crossed! I'l b able to run this filter at the same time as a new filter for the same results or even run a bigger filter in my 30g for a few weeks before I swap maybe???

You can use that filter in the 100G but in addition to another one (since it will not be enough filtration if it is alone). It will help the mini cycle.

While I'm on, can anybody reccomend a good filter to suit 100G? and any good methods to heat up the 70g of fresh water il be putting in the new tank?

I don't think you'll run in to a mini cycle if you don't add any new fish to the tank for a couple weeks after swapping. Just throw your filter and old substrate in, add another filter too, and you should be fine.

Filter... Hmmm.. have you looked at canister filters? I really like Fluvals, but Rena XP's are also really good. Aquaclear is another option, but I really think any tank over 75g does best with a canister.

As far as heating the water, just temp match from the faucet.. and dechlor really well first so you don't kill off your nitrifying bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom