Switch To Canister Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Digital Man

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I currently have a 45 gallon freshwater with a handful of fish and a small red ear slider turtle (yes, I know I will eventually need to get a larger tank for the turtle). I currently have a Tetra Whisper HOB filter and while the filter works well, I am looking to minimize noise. The filter itself doesn't make much noise but the splashing of the water coming out of the filter is annoying.

I am thinking that I can minimize noise (both filter and water splash) with the use of a canister filter that has a spray bar that goes directly in the tank water. Any thought or concerns ti be aware of on this. I was thinking about an Eheim classic canister filter.

Thanks!

If you google HOB splashing mods you'll find various options that can be done to your current filter. I have a fluval 306 in my 55 gallon. I don't use a spray bar but I have the outlet just above the water level. Its easily adjustable. Works perfect for me and there is minimal noise.

You could always mod your current filter and look up filter sponges. These don't always look the best but they are air driven and won't have any waterfall at all. Of course now you'll need an air pump and depending on the brand those can be just as annoying as your current situation.

Back
Top Bottom