Switching filters & filter floss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nikipike

Aquarium Advice Regular
I did most the cycling on my 10gal w/ a HOB filter. Then I started to cycle my 5.5gal tank & decided to give an intank filter a try. I really liked the intank filter & decided to buy another one to put on my 10gal.

1. How long should I run the intank filter on the 10gal before removing the HOB? It's been a little over a week now. I just don't want to mess up my tank.

2. How do you guys keep filter floss *down* in your intank filters? I've noticed the floss in both filters tends to move up & reallllyyyyy slows down the out flow. Was thinking about finding a rock to put ontop that might weigh them down? I'm not as worried about the 10gal since it's to be planted & house bettas, but the 5.5gal will house puffers in the future so they are going to need better movement.

If you're referring to a standard box type of filter, it should come with a cover which keeps the filter floss in the filter and allows water to move through it. I still use these from time to time and practically fill the box with floss. I've never had to weigh it down. Am I missing what you're asking?

I am assuming you are talking about the Whisper 10i ? If so then I suffered from the same problem and just decided to get a cartridge for it. It cost 2.50 and should last a long time. Not very expensive.

Macrosill, yep! Whisper 10i is what i've bought. I really just wanted to go w/ floss, but I did save both the cartridges. You'd think they could come up w/ some kind of snap of lid.

Brian, i'm refering to an intank filter, whisper 10i specifically. More of a rounded shape.

I really dislike the 10i. I have 3 of them on my kids tanks, they came with them. The 1st issue is the floss creeping out like you described. 2nd is the fact it is inside and takes up alot of room. Thenn there is that suction cup, it is attached well to the filter and also holds on tight to the tank so when I need to clean the filter I always fight with it , wind up ripping the filter off the suction cup, spilling water everywhere and then I have to pry the suction cup off the tank. After all this I need to get the suction cup back onto the filter, what a pain in the ... . There is one more issue I have with this filter. The water flow adjustment is on the lower end of the filter in the back, between the tank and filter housing, so adjustments need to be done utilizing the previous procedure. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. Finally I can vent about this dang filter.

But,

Back
Top Bottom