Switching from gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlbfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there anything to worry about switching from gravel to sand in an established tank? Or, newly established I should say. It seems to be cycled but I am am still adding to it. The tank is 28 gallons and holds/held 7 neons (currently in hospital tank) and 4 Cories. I read that sand is better for them..

I think it is best that I leave everything alone for two weeks or so but was curious if I should do small parts at a time or something? Don't want to through the tank into a cycle.

Thanks

Most beneficial bacteria is in the filter media so I'm sure you could do a complete swap. Just turn your filter off while doing so

Will do thanks! I found a lot of other information the site for it. I look forward to switching when everyone is healthy again :/

Jana

Which sand is white? I read people use Playsand, PoolFilter Sand and Blasting sand. But the blasting sand I found is made from coal slag. Does what it is made of matter?

jlbfish said:
Which sand is white? I read people use Playsand, PoolFilter Sand and Blasting sand. But the blasting sand I found is made from coal slag. Does what it is made of matter?

I used a brand called Handy Sand that I found at Menards, Idk if u have one in your area but it is a home improvement store similar to lowes or Home depot :) my sand is VERY white :) and it was only 5 bucks for a 50 pound bag! Also almost dust free, I am very happy with it!

Attachments

• attachment-25.jpeg
    attachment-25.jpeg
    27.4 KB · Views: 64
That's awesome! I'm getting a 75 gallon off of Craig's list. Apparantly there is an algae problem so I'm not sure how to clean that yet but I'm definitely putting white sand in it. We have some playground sand we bought for our crabitat is that ok to use too? I might put that in the 28 gallon

That's awesome! I'm getting a 75 gallon off of Craig's list. Apparantly there is an algae problem so I'm not sure how to clean that yet but I'm definitely putting white sand in it. We have some playground sand we bought for our crabitat is that ok to use too? I might put that in the 28 gallon

Thanks! I do believe play sand is safe, I hear it is reallllly dirty tho so rinse it good! Also the good thing about the blasting sand or "all purpose" sand like I used is its heavy and settles pretty much instantly even when my fish make sand storms :) So I dont have to worry about it burning up the impellers on my filters cuz it never reaches the intakes :) It is a BREEZE to clean because everything settles on the surface of the sand and never really mixes in. Im religious with vac'ing the sand because, and heres my warning, the white shows EVERYTHING!!!! Lol, makes me kinda wish I woulda went with black or a mix but I do love the sand and very happy I made the switch (y)

Can you use any filter sponge on an aqua clear intake?

Back
Top Bottom