Switching from gravel to sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish44

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I have a 44 gallon freshwater aquarium and have a few Cory catfish in it. I currently have gravel but I know gravel is not good for cory catfish. I wanted to know if I could switch my substrate from gravel to sand and the best way to do this. Also, if I do this is there a way to keep some of the beneficial bacteria that was in the gravel? I have heard that putting some of the gravel in a sock and keeping it in the tank for a while helps but I wanted to hear some opinions on this matter,
Thanks.

A nylon stocking instead of a sock. Better water flow.
PFS would be my recommendation as it is already rinsed. Rinse it more, but it's already pretty clean.
Put the stocking with gravel under the filter just for a bit extra water flow.

A nylon stocking instead of a sock. Better water flow.
PFS would be my recommendation as it is already rinsed. Rinse it more, but it's already pretty clean.
Put the stocking with gravel under the filter just for a bit extra water flow.

I will try that. Thanks.

Also I would remove all fish during the exchange. It sounds silly but some like myself(back when I was a newbie ?) left fish in when changing and it's just not a good idea.

As long as your filter media stays wet you don't need to mess with the gravel part. Most of the BB is in the filter floss.

Back
Top Bottom