Switching from Well Water to Public Water.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darewood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, I have a planted and community 130 gallon set up currently. It's been going strong for over a year with no issues. But I'm currently buying a house and I will have public water instead of well.
What would be the best course of action for this situation? I don't want to kill everything in my tank when I make the move.

I'm assuming to do some water tests, but what else should I do?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What makes sense to me would be to bring some of your water who you to the new house. That way you wouldn't be doing a 100% different water. Then just treat the water right and yea do some test

Mainly you are just going to need prime or another de-chlorinated. I wouldn't worry to much about the plants but you will need to acclimated the fish, to the new water conditions. As long as you keep your filter damp you'll be fine. Just put it in a plastic bag for no more then 24 hours before getting it running again and don't let it freeze, your bb filter will be fine and so will your fish.

Hey guys, I have a planted and community 130 gallon set up currently. It's been going strong for over a year with no issues. But I'm currently buying a house and I will have public water instead of well.
What would be the best course of action for this situation? I don't want to kill everything in my tank when I make the move.

I'm assuming to do some water tests, but what else should I do?

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Congrats!! On the new house. I would try to take as much water with as possible to keep the same. Then when a water change is due start dechlorinating your water and do 25% PWC like normal. Over time the tank will acclimate the fish slowly and all is good shouldn't affect anything. Worst case you may have a mini cycle so watch daily for ammonia and nitrite for the first few weeks then you should be golden.

Back
Top Bottom