Switching gravel to sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

water12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone! In about a month or so I'll be moving and was thinking that would be my best chance to switch the gravel in my 10 gallon to sand. I was wondering the best way to do this and if I should leave my fish out of the tank in their transport containers while doing this or keep them in the tank? Right now I have a school of neons and 2 ghost shrimp. Also, I'm in love with some albino cories I found and was wondering if it would be possible to add a couple. I do a 20% water change weekly along with vacuuming the gravel once a week taking out another 20-30% of water. What do you all think??

Best way is to do it in sections. Take out 1/4 of the gravel, replace it with WELL RINSED sand. Don't do it all at once, there is a fair amount of BB in the gravel. I would say every couple days, take out another portion, replace it with well rinsed sand, until you have no gravel left.

Others may disagree, but that's what I would do.

Hope I helped!

For a 10g? Since you are moving you are going to have to empty the tank anyway, just refill it with sand instead of the gravel when you get moved.

Corydoras aeneus is a bit too big for a 10g. Consider habrosus or pygmies.

I recommended black sand!! It looks just as nice and it looks way cleaner.

+1 on what jeta said
And black sand does look nice i have it in my tank just make sure you keep up with your pwcs and vacs all the poo and stuff is really noticeable if you don't

Thanks for the help you guys! I'll definitely go for the black sand. It's an established tank now, going on its 6th month set up so if I just completely take out the gravel an replace it with sand wouldn't that mess up the BB and possibly cause a mini cycle. I like the idea of gradually adding sand even though that'll take a while...idk

water12 said:
Thanks for the help you guys! I'll definitely go for the black sand. It's an established tank now, going on its 6th month set up so if I just completely take out the gravel an replace it with sand wouldn't that mess up the BB and possibly cause a mini cycle. I like the idea of gradually adding sand even though that'll take a while...idk

Just keep your filter wet with tank water. Don't change any filter material. BB can double every 24 hours I believe. You can run the filter on your fish bucket while you are setting up.

Pre rinse your sand !!!! It will take awhile to get it clear. Do small portions at a time. Maybe 1/3 to 1/4. Plan for 2-3" of Sand in the tank.

Consider Root Tabs in the bottom before you add the sand.

Yeah, I just say to slowly replace the gravel because one of my worst fears is a mini cycle and I don't like seeing it in other people's tanks. I hope it works out.

phoenixkiller said:
Best way is to do it in sections. Take out 1/4 of the gravel, replace it with WELL RINSED sand. Don't do it all at once, there is a fair amount of BB in the gravel. I would say every couple days, take out another portion, replace it with well rinsed sand, until you have no gravel left.

Others may disagree, but that's what I would do.

Hope I helped!

There's no point if it's cycled with enough BB in the filter. :) it would be hard to seperate the sand and gravel, too. An easy way to avoid that is to take a large filter sock or something, fill it with old gravel (with BB) and leave it in the tank with the new sand. You could also move it to the filter.

Yeah you must wash it!! Once you think its clean and ready to put in your tank wash it again... My tank got cloudy for a week because I did a poor job washing it. And glad to hear you're going with black sand :) Good choice!

Back
Top Bottom