Switching my fish to a used 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovemybarbs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am planning on moving everyone to a 55 gallon on Sunday. I'm using the same substrate and filter. I'm just going to go for it and cross my fingers. :multi:

My plan for Saturday is to do a good vacuum and water change. I already bought the new hood and lighting and 25 pounds of gravel to add to it.

I'll transfer as much of the water I can into the new tank.

Has anyone every done this before? Any helpful hints? TIA :wave:

As long as you use the same substrate and filter and keep them wet you should be fine. Make sure to clean the tank well, check for leaks and dechlorinate water you add. Congrats and good luck. Make sure to post pics when it's up.

Okay. My pleco will not behave, I know it. You should see the massive net I got to wrangle him. :jump:

So take them out before I gather the old gravel?

well I've never moved him before. Even when I moved, I left him and the pictus in the tank for the five mile ride in four inches of water. :lol:

What could happen?

lovemybarbs said:
well I've never moved him before. Even when I moved, I left him and the pictus in the tank for the five mile ride in four inches of water. :lol:

What could happen?

Their spiny scales get caught on the netting. They also attach onto anything they can. The best bet is to move him with your hand. Don't get scaled ;)

I could use some rubber gloves I guess. Maybe I should just try and scoop him out when he is attached upside down under his favorite rock. My avatar is a picture of him coming out from it. He's so strong.

You could use your hand or net to chase him into a tupperware container or something. I'd be afraid to touch my plecos!

Don't worry about your move, it will go just fine. Be sure to keep your test kit handy for a couple weeks afterward, as this will likely not be an instant cycle. The last time I set up a 55 gallon this way I had a small nitrite spike on the second day, but a couple pwc's took care of that, no problem. By day 4, everything was fine.

Oops. No air stone. Can I just throw the tube attached to the pump, or do I really have to have an air stone. Honestly, I doubt they are in there very long.

Back
Top Bottom