switching to pool filter sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you looking to completely replace your substrate, or just make an addition?
How large is your tank?

Its a 10 gallon and I have gravel and I want to replace all with pfs

I replaced a few of my tanks with PFS and it's definitely easier to rinse than other types of sands (from experience). Since it's only a 10 gallon tank I would empty half of it into a 5 gallon bucket of some sort and put all the fish in it while you take out all the gravel because it will get very cloudy and stress the fish in such a small tank. However if it was a 55 g tank and u had a lot of bigger fish u could get by with leaving them in the tank when you switch out the gravel. What I did was take a net out and catch as much of the gravel as possible. The first step tho is to rinse the sand at least 5 times or until the water is clear when you pour it off the sand. Once ur fish are out and the gravel is out just dump in the sand but before this definitely make sure your equipement is off (filters especially as they can be damaged). Once the sand has settled on the bottom u can add fresh water and it could act as a 50% change or u could dump your old water with the fish back in if the nitrates aren't too high. Make sure u rinse the sand in warm water before adding it because if the sand is really cold it could drop the temp which isn't good for the fish. Once u got all the dish and sand in there start up the filters to make everything clear again. Don't be alarmed If ur water is cloudy for awhile. It will clear up in 2-12hrs. Sometimes a few days. Very good move switching to PFS! Your water will stay cleaner and your un eaten food won't get stuck under the gravel and turn into extra wastes. The fish will feel more at home and plus it looks a lot nicer. I have PFS in 4 of my tanks and slowly "upgraded" all tanks to sand (I have 3 types of sand in 6 of my tanks and will never use gravel again)

Good luck I hope this was helpful. It shouldn't take you long to rinse sand for a 10g. You should only need 10-15lbs worth:)

Very nice. Thanks for all the help. And I got a 50 pound bag because it was 6 bucks

o.jonathan.o said:
Very nice. Thanks for all the help. And I got a 50 pound bag because it was 6 bucks

Nice. You can always save some sand for future tanks. A general rule is 1lb of sand for every gallon of aquarium but like all these general rules they don't always work and can be bended. Just google substrate calculator and you will find a calculator that will tell you how much sand you will need for your tank dimensions and how many inches you want. I do 2" although some recommend 3". but ya it won't take you long to switch everything around. If you're doing a planted tank u want at least 2-3" sand

So will adding any more than that hurt the tank
And btw I am getting a 55 soon with sand and I'm also wondering if this will be okay for my pleco

o.jonathan.o said:
So will adding any more than that hurt the tank
And btw I am getting a 55 soon with sand and I'm also wondering if this will be okay for my pleco

Yes your placo will do much better in the 55 and the sand only helps cuz he can go along the bottom and skim the surface and eat the food along the bottom. As far as adding too much sand.. Well I'm not am expert but I believe you don't want to add too little or too much. Too much can create gas pockets I think and too little doesn't let you bury decorations or root plants. But I never looked into it too deep. Good move on getting a 55

mikeybabs said:
Yes your placo will do much better in the 55 and the sand only helps cuz he can go along the bottom and skim the surface and eat the food along the bottom. As far as adding too much sand.. Well I'm not am expert but I believe you don't want to add too little or too much. Too much can create gas pockets I think and too little doesn't let you bury decorations or root plants. But I never looked into it too deep. Good move on getting a 55

Thanks and I will look into it and first I'm getting a 30g then the 55g and after I save $2300.00 I'm getting this super nice 175 g bow front

courtneythore said:
What is the advantage of using pool filter sand?

To be honest I don't really know. Maybe someone will jump in and help but I think its nicer than gravel and so far my water is way more clean and also I think my fish are way more happy now. They actually swim around and play with it. I strongly recommend it just for the fish

And also its better for planted tanks like mine here is a pic

Pic didn't post here it is

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110819_113534.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110819_113534.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 121
  • ForumRunner_20110819_113610.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110819_113610.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 133
Very nice! I was hoping to go to either PFS or a finer grain gravel for many of the same reasons. (still researching, tank not yet purchased). It looks nice, does not hide uneaten food, etc. However, I have read that sand is not necessarily better for plants than gravel...something about too tight for roots. I have no idea if this is true. Also, I have read that sand can get into your HOB filters and damage impellers, etc.

Does anyone have experience with either of these (or other) effects for those of us wanting to use sand as a substrate? Thanks.

First I would like to say thank. 2nd since I put my plants in sand the roots have grown so long they connected to each other. Those are before pics when I had them in my 10g now they are in a 40g and here r more pics.

Pfs is the way to go

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110917_230315.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110917_230315.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 95
Togliat said:
Very nice! I was hoping to go to either PFS or a finer grain gravel for many of the same reasons. (still researching, tank not yet purchased). It looks nice, does not hide uneaten food, etc. However, I have read that sand is not necessarily better for plants than gravel...something about too tight for roots. I have no idea if this is true. Also, I have read that sand can get into your HOB filters and damage impellers, etc.

Does anyone have experience with either of these (or other) effects for those of us wanting to use sand as a substrate? Thanks.

Also the pfs is really heavy so it stays at the bottom and just keep your intake a couple inches off the sand and it will be fine

Does any particular brand of PFS work better than another?
What about washing it? Do it until the bucket runs clear, I suppose?

Togliat said:
Does any particular brand of PFS work better than another?
What about washing it? Do it until the bucket runs clear, I suppose?

I used the only brand that I know makes it (quickerete) and yes rinse it very very well. Do small amounts at a time

Back
Top Bottom