Switching to sand from gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to change my 20g tank to sand and remove the gravel and I also want to use sand in my 5g tank when I set it up. What kind of sand should I use and is there any special care instructions for tanks using sand?

You can buy any of the store bought sands, they should be fine. Stay away from the saltwater "live" sands though. You can also go with playsand or pool filter sand which are significantly cheaper than store bought.

I've used Quickrete's Premium playsand ($3.80/50lbs) and AquaQuartz's Pool Filter Sand ($5/50lbs). I recently set up another tank using playsand and I love it.

No special instructions other than don't shove the gravel vac down into the sand all the way. Just swirl it around the top of the sand to get the waste in the water column.

You can buy any of the store bought sands, they should be fine. Stay away from the saltwater "live" sands though. You can also go with playsand or pool filter sand which are significantly cheaper than store bought.

I've used Quickrete's Premium playsand ($3.80/50lbs) and AquaQuartz's Pool Filter Sand ($5/50lbs). I recently set up another tank using playsand and I love it.

No special instructions other than don't shove the gravel vac down into the sand all the way. Just swirl it around the top of the sand to get the waste in the water column.

So I could go to Walmart and grab any of the Crayola colored sandbox sand that they sell and it would work?

So I could go to Walmart and grab any of the Crayola colored sandbox sand that they sell and it would work?

I've only used sand I bought at Petco. Whatever you buy be sure to rinse, rinse and rinse some more. Sand may cloud the water for awhile, but just give it time to settle. I turned off my filter until it had settled because I was concerned the sand could damage my filter. I'm not sure what others may say about that.

I have a bag of quickrete sand that I bought for weight in my truck. Its black sand like I want to use in my tank. Would there be any reason I couldnt use this?

I have heard that is ok to use. Just make sure to do two of the things posted above 1) rinse rinse rinse 2). Turn off your filter until the sand is settled it could mess up your impeller. There are several threads on doing this exact thing on here, so I would search them. Also if you are not removing the fish from the tank when switching there are threads which describe a clean plastic soda bottle technique that works wonders.

PS I also have used play sand from home depot that was a pain to rinse but was so much cheaper I didn't mind at all. Just put the sand in a bucket and sick a hose in the sand (or do what I did and put the bucket in your tub and run the faucet into it) until all the fine partials have been rinsed out. Out that in your tank and repeat with the next batch.

PS I also have used play sand from home depot that was a pain to rinse but was so much cheaper I didn't mind at all. Just put the sand in a bucket and sick a hose in the sand (or do what I did and put the bucket in your tub and run the faucet into it) until all the fine partials have been rinsed out. Out that in your tank and repeat with the next batch.

Thanks for the info! I decided to only do this in my 5g tank so I should only need to do one bucket. It just seems that rinsing would wash it all away, lol.

I would recommend getting a clean pillow case and dumping the sand into that. Then get a hose and spray the sand in the pillow case until it runs clear. It is easier than doing it in a bucket and does a much better job, IME.

I would recommend getting a clean pillow case and dumping the sand into that. Then get a hose and spray the sand in the pillow case until it runs clear. It is easier than doing it in a bucket and does a much better job, IME.

Now that sounds like a **** good idea :)

I just rinsed 100lbs of playsand for my 75g. Took about 20 minutes or so in the 4 batches (roughly 25lbs in each batch). It helps to have someone hold the pillowcase open while you spray. Let the water drain for a while and then spray some more. When the water stops looking cloudy coming out the bottom, you are good to go!

I just rinsed 100lbs of playsand for my 75g. Took about 20 minutes or so in the 4 batches (roughly 25lbs in each batch). It helps to have someone hold the pillowcase open while you spray. Let the water drain for a while and then spray some more. When the water stops looking cloudy coming out the bottom, you are good to go!

I painted the back and sides of my 5g black and just bought black sand and some black light responsive decor. Now I'm just looking for some nano fish that will contrast it really well :)

No no for the glofish. They need a 20g long minimum. Are you going with the embers?

I want to but, I cant find them locally and to order them would cost me a ton in shipping. Someone mentioned Platy's. I thought maybe I'd give them a try.

EDIT: On a side note, I filled the 5g and its leaking all over the place. I dont know whether its worth re-sealing. I have a 2nd 5.5g that I just set up this morning that I will be using instead. Problem is, its already cycling with gravel when I just bought sand for the other 5g.... I really dont want to drain it and start over so, I think the sand will wait for another tank.

One or two platys may work but I wouldn't do any more than that. Have you asked your LFS if they can order them in?

I have 2 options for LFS, Walmart (whom we all know is a joke) and Petco. Petco always looks at me with a glazed vacant expression when I ask them anything fish related, lol.

I was thinking 2 brightly colored platy's. Recommend any?

ccross said:
I have 2 options for LFS, Walmart (whom we all know is a joke) and Petco. Petco always looks at me with a glazed vacant expression when I ask them anything fish related, lol.

I was thinking 2 brightly colored platy's. Recommend any?

Recommend colors? No idea sorry. What ever strikes your fancy? I would recommend two females. No fry and less chance of aggression.

Petco should order anything that is not too crazy rare. My local one does it for me.

Back
Top Bottom