Switching to Sand? Help Please! (Bonus Pictures)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yiesh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I am considering a switch from gravel to sand in my 46 gallon tank. However, I have a lot of questions and I keep getting mixed results when I search online. I'm hoping you guys can help me!

First of all, what is the best kind of sand to use? I've heard pool filter sand is the cheapest and best choice, is that true? How much would I need for a 46 gallon? What all do I need to do to make this switch as stress free and successful as possible?

My tank is fully cycled and I am very concerned about causing it to re-cycle because of the switch. Will keeping my old filter media be enough BB or should I keep some of the gravel in the tank as well? (I have a dual 60g filter plus a back-up 45 gallon filter all with carbon filter pads in them)

Once the sand is in the tank, do I need to do anything to protect my filters from getting sand in them? I have a full grown Blood Parrot and I am afraid he will kick up a lot of sand.

Finally, I've heard a lot of scary stories about sand getting anaerobic air pockets in it and harming fish. Is there a way to prevent this? How do you successfully siphon sand?

Sorry for the massive amount of questions, I just want to make sure I do this right! - Here's some bonus pictures of George for helping me out! :thanks:

Attachments

• Oct-5-7.jpg
    Oct-5-7.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Oct-5-8.jpg
    Oct-5-8.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 105
Thanks! That definitely helped me with the methods part of my question filled paragraph.

A few questions still though- What is the difference between play sand and pool filter sand? How much would I need for my aquarium? Do I need to keep some gravel in the tank to avoid a mini cycle or will my filter media be enough? Is there something I can do to make sure the sand kicked up by my BP wont ruin my filters?

Pool filter sand has bigger grains, so it settles faster and allows more nutrient and water flow through it. The disadvantage is that some smaller poo can fall into the sand. Play sand takes longer to settle and it does not allow much water flow through it.
The rest of the questions are not within my knowledge.

Thanks I'll probably go with pool filter sand then. It's not sharp like the blasting sand is it?

Yiesh said:
Do I need to keep some gravel in the tank to avoid a mini cycle or will my filter media be enough?

There should be no risk of a mini cycle if the filter media is well established.

Yiesh said:
Is there something I can do to make sure the sand kicked up by my BP wont ruin my filters?

Once the sand had settled, the filters should be fine

Link119 said:
Play sand takes longer to settle

Play sand is also composed of clay that is why it takes longer for it to clear up.

Yiesh said:
It's not sharp like the blasting sand is it?

No it is not, blasting media can be composed of coal slag which can be abrasive to diggers.

Excellent! Thanks! Now I have to track down pool filter sand in late October... that should be fun.. :blink:

Yiesh said:
Excellent! Thanks! Now I have to track down pool filter sand in late October... that should be fun.. :blink:

I got mine today from the pool supply store. :). I'm in California tho.....lol

I miraculously found a pool supplies store relatively close to me! I'll check it out tomorrow and make sure to post progress pictures when I get started!

If there's a home depot or Lowes nearby you can grab some there as well

Jconner3 said:
If there's a home depot or Lowes nearby you can grab some there as well

Home Depot and lowes didn't have it here...lol. I guess too many pool supply stores. But then again every third house has a pool...so you would think they would carry it.

I kept gravel mainly in the center of tank.

Attachments

• image-215407735.jpg
    image-215407735.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 86
The final product! It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. I bought pool filter sand for $9, rinsed it three or four times and added it to the aquarium after taking out the gravel. The whole process took about two hours. Everything settled a lot faster than I thought it would. It's still a little hazy but I'm sure it'll settle out later. Overall I think it's a great improvement! I'll attach some before and after photos :) Thanks to everyone for your help!

Attachments

• image-2382208566.jpg
    image-2382208566.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 73
  • image-693369339.jpg
    image-693369339.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 74
Thank you!! He is definitely the coolest fish I have ever owned. He has so much personality and gets so excited when I walk in the room. You can tell I spoil him though :)

i used play sand and had a few issues but i worked them out...first you need to deside what you want to spend and what color .. if you use play sand you must wash the sand over and over and over till it is clean.. and i mean clean... wash little amonts at a time.. then once you add your sand to the tank use a clean pan or a plate while your adding the water so you dont kick the sand up..just take your time and be paitent and it will work out.

Keep an eye on your levels too as a mini-cycle isn't beyond the realms of possibility. There would have been a fair amount of BB on your gravel. I noticed an ammo spike when I switched to sand but pwc and safestart sorted it out within 2 days

Back
Top Bottom