Sword help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacey W.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I've had Sword for approximately 2 1/2 weeks now I trimmed the dead leaves off before I planted it in my tank and added root tabs. Last week I trimmed a few more leaves. I have 3 new leaves coming in on the bottom that are fairly healthy looking . Also I have a couple leaves coming in in the center of the plant that are slightly translucent and very light green on color. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's a pic

Attachments

• 1431465788932.jpg
    1431465788932.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 73
Nope

My eyes deceive me. Some plants will melt when adapting to new environments. Just keep pulling off the dead stems and it will come back

Caleb

Ok, as you may already know I am new to a planted tank. Maybe impatience, I am just afraid to kill this beautiful plant by trimming too much. Also if I don't trim the stems as short as I can will this effect the plant growth? Be prepared everyone for lots of questions in the future. ;)

Well I am far from a plant expert. I've had plants before that melted away to nothing, got them again, and they are fine now. They say to trim as far down as possible to help support new growth.

Caleb

Yeah, my sword melted almost completely away when I first got it. It's growing slowly now, but getting new leaves that are about 5 inches long now. When I got it, it was about 15 inches tall! So, bummer when it melted. But at least it didn't die.

Yeah, my sword melted almost completely away when I first got it. It's growing slowly now, but getting new leaves that are about 5 inches long now. When I got it, it was about 15 inches tall! So, bummer when it melted. But at least it didn't die.

Yeah mine started about 7 inches tall and melted and now it's back at 12 inches and new shoots all the time.

Caleb

Yes, I had the same thing happen... Got 3 swords whose leaves reached the top of the water, over time I removed those leaves because of algae growth on them, and now they are about half as tall, but thick and lots of new growth.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sounds to me like you need to add a little iron. The plant leaves are eating themselves due to the lack of iron. That's the main cause of the leaves going translucent. I have been adding Flourish Iron, Potassium, phosphorus and nitrogen twice a week in the recommended doses and don't have that issue anymore. I also use root tabs, adding them every 4 months.

I have been adding fluval supplements. But just starting to add florish in the last two days.

Great! It will likely be a couple weeks before you see the results. I know adding nutrients made a Hugh difference in the whole Eco system. Made my plants real happy and I have a lot less algae issues.

Great! It will likely be a couple weeks before you see the results. I know adding nutrients made a Hugh difference in the whole Eco system. Made my plants real happy and I have a lot less algae issues.

I thought florish excel only helped with any algae issues.

I am not talking Florish Excel. I am using 4 different nutrients all sold by Florish. Excel is a combination of some but I found it to be much more rewarding both with plant growth and algae control by adding the nutrients individually. You have much better control this way. I found the reason my sword leaves were eating themselves was lack of iron. By having a bottle of Florish Iron I just upped the dose of iron until the leaves stopped desolving. By adding more P ( potassium ) from a seperate bottle it and cutting back light, reduced the algae grow to nearly none. Once you get the plants absorbing all the nutrients added and you run your lights for about 8 hrs or less the algae about disappears.

Can I have the same effect if I up the dosing of florish comprehensive from once to twice weekly if possible?

Yes possibly! The problem I had with the complete was I would get to much of one nutrient, not enough of another. Therefore when the plants aren't using everything up you are leaving nutrients in the water that help feed the algae. This was the problem I kept having. The people at the LSF in go told me to do some research online on nutrients and plants and algae. She has some really nice tanks set up where the plants and fish live until sold. So took her advice and loved the results. Plants grow beautiful only problem have to keep trimming and removing so I can see the fish. Haven't had an algae problem since a few weeks after starting this method. Been doing it for a couple years now. If the complete or excel are working keep with it if not and you have issues keep trying different approaches til you get the results you are looking for.

I run no more then 8 hrs light. Have moonlighting so when the mains are off you can still view. Add nutrients listed above twice per week. Once after 30 % to 50 % water change and once mid week. Feed fish every morning after lights come on. Rinse out filter system every 3 months with tank water only. Then refill with tank water and add fresh water to the tank. When the tank is full start pump. Started using CO2 reactors again two of them probably not enough but it has made a difference in the plant grow and doesn't change my ph so will continue the process.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things are coming along. ???

Thanks everyone for your help! Part of me seems overwhelmed but I will keep chugging along.

Back
Top Bottom