Swordtail behaviour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

normal9

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys. I recently lost my gourami ? so to cheer myself up I wanted to get another fish.

Due to the size of my tank (48 litres) the pet store advised I should get a swordtail - so I did.

The problem now is that the swordtail keep chasing my bloodfin and they don't seem to like it so they are trying to hide.

Is this normal swordtail behaviour? I'm worried the swordtail will cause my other fish too much stress.

Hopefully u guys know the solutions to my problems

It's to small of a tank. If my math is right that's 12 gallons. Swordtails need more room. What exactly is in the tank with this sword?

Swordtails are very active and need a 30 gallon tank at least in my opinion. Fish can become aggressive when forced to share a small space with too many other fish.

I'd take him/her back and get something else that would function better in that size of tank. I have ten of them in a 29 gallon. When I only had six in the tank I was having aggression issues and the fish were very jumpy. I added four more and they are doing ten times better than before.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm gonna take him back to the shop. So far I have 8 neons, 2 bloodfin, 4 bronze Cory's and 2 snails. What would be best for a centerpiece fish?

You should get about 4 more blood fins, to make a nice school. That would max you out, ever

What would be an ideal amount/type of fish if my tank was empty?

6 of a schooler type like neons, harlequin rasboras, or white clouds
6 small bottom feeders like Pygmy/skunk/hasbrosus cory cats, or kuhli loaches
Then you could get 3-4 sparkling gourami OR 2 honey gourami OR 1 dwarf gourami OR 1 badis badis.

Would I be ok to have 6 neons, 4 Cory's, 2 snails and a dwarf gourami?

Back
Top Bottom