Swordtail Bully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkseid76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I nursed a green swordtail female back to health and now she's a bully. I cant see a reason why either. There is plenty of tank space and it isn't overcrowded.

And her bullying is reserved only for my 2 platies and the other swordtails, male and female. She doesnt nip but she does chase them around.

Any ideas AA??:confused:

If you have another tank you can try giving her a break. Otherwise, I'd take her and do a trade at your LFS.

I'm assuming that your water parameters are fine?

Unfortunately i dont own another tank. And I'm reluctant to give her away. I got her at PetCo and she clearly wasnt in great shape. But I got her because she has a great spotted pattern for a green variety and I was hoping she would drop some fry for me.

Now that she is in great shape she zooms around the tank like a torpedo and chases the other two swords and platies when in range. She completely ignores my mollies and neons.

My water is hopefully in great shape. I havent done any testing this morning yet. And I'm in need of a nitrite/nitrate kit. I do have ammonia and ph kits. The tank is planted with mostly water sprite( growing fantastically too )and some sword varieties. And I recently added java moss about a week ago( heard its great for nitrite absorbtion ).

Water temp is at a steady 80 F. I also add about 3-5 tablespoons aquarium salt every other week. Water changes are weekly 20-30% minimum. I'm using two HOB filters and one has a ammonia/carbon insert.

I'll get exact ammonia and ph later. But finally no visible diseases, clamped fins, breathing at the surface, no visible injuries, no signs of fungus, I think she is just a mean girl. :(

This is an update. She still bullies on occasions and she recently gave birth about 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure how many she could of had because I know that livebearers will sometimes eat thier young. There are only 4 babies and I'm tank raising them.

I dont think any young were eaten though because they swim all around my tank and are completely ignored.

Anyways I hope they don't turn out like their mother. LOL

Back
Top Bottom