Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-02-2004, 04:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, I will look into more hiding spots. Thanks for the advice on the heater.

That is true, i do keep the light on a lot, which in turn causes all that algae...and also probably keeps the water warmer.

Do those heaters have thermostats.... I am still nervous about using it.

1 Rosy Barb
1 Blue Gourami
1 Sucker fish
AKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 04:58 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Yep- the heater has a thermostat, and I agree that it will help keep the temp steady, which is much more important. You might try keeping it at 78. Get yourself a good one, like an Ebo-Jager or a Visitherm, and 50 watts should do it.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 05:43 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, I will try the one I purchased at my lfs. It is 50 watts, not sure what name brand, but the girl said it was a good one. How long before it heats the tank, should I always leave it set at 78..... as you can see I am still a bit anxious....I would feel awful if I ended up killing the fish.
1 Rosy Barb
1 Blue Gourami
1 Sucker fish
Old 08-02-2004, 09:37 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Put the heater in the tank and assuming the tank water is cooler than the desired temp, turn the dial up until the light comes on. Stop there and see what temp it brings the tank to - it might be set on 75 and actually heat the tank to 78, so don't necessarily go by the calibrations on the dial, but go by the light coming on. If it is still not up to 78 in 24 hours, turn it up again until the light comes on, etc. It takes a bit of time, but you are raising the temp only a degree or two so it won't take forever and should not "shock" the fish with a sudden temp change. Your fish will thank you!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 02:39 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

okay, will do. Thanks!

1 Rosy Barb
1 Blue Gourami
1 Sucker fish

Tags
ick, platy, swordtail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com