Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2004, 12:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

SwordTail keeps pecking at Mickey Mouse Platy

Hi,

My red swordtail will not leave my platy alone. The swordtail keeps pecking at the platy, and now it appears as if the platy is sore. The plat keeps swimming funny trying to avoid the other fish from pecking at sore, at one point the platy was laying on bottom of tank on side.

What can I do to stop this or to help the platy?

Old 07-29-2004, 12:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Endgame319
Its likely you have a male swordtail and a female platy. The two species are very similar and they will interbreed. The only remedy would be seperation, or adding more female swordtails/platys so the aggression will be more spread out.

Old 07-29-2004, 12:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Do you think the platy will be okay? I was scared it was going to die, the way it is swimming now. I'll see about another swordtail. Thanks!
1 Rosy Barb
1 Blue Gourami
1 Sucker fish
AKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 06:48 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
If it was just stress, it should get better once you get atleast another, if not 2 more (for this active male) swordtails. Do you have plenty of places for the platy to "hide" any? Plants, a cave, etc.

Best to solve this soon. I had the same problem with my rainbow, and it ended up stressing so much it got sick.

Good luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2004, 10:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

It is too late the platy was found dead this morning. I am so upset. It happened all of a sudden last night. I looked one moment the platy was fine and the next it was acting all sick.

RIP Platy..
1 Rosy Barb
1 Blue Gourami
1 Sucker fish
Old 07-29-2004, 10:24 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Stuff like this happens all the time. There is usually one dominant male in the tank and heaven forbid another male try to take that spot. I had a male gold dust mollie kill my male sunset platy. I have two male sailfin mollies right now that chase each other around the tank. There isn’t much you can do expect to provide lots of cover or to separate them. Adding more fish to change the balance can help, but I’ve found that adding more females doesn’t guarantee peace. I have a male to female ratio of 1:3 in that sailfin tank and still get aggression.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:36 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Those **** males. So do you think the constant pecking is what killed the platy?

I don't know if I can deal with all of this death.....

I guess we will get something to replace the platy. Any recommendations.

I have: 1 Blue Gourami, 1 Rosy Barb, 1 Red Sword Tail, 1 Dwarf Gourami.....

We are also thinking of getting a bottom feeder...for all that darn algae... any recommendations on what kind of bottom feeder, it is only a 10 gal We inheritted the tank with the fish and all...
1 Rosy Barb
1 Blue Gourami
1 Sucker fish
Old 07-29-2004, 12:49 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

In a 10gal you are probably stocked as it is now. You could look into an otocinclus catfish - they stay very small, but they are somewhat delicate so wait until the LFS has had some for a week or two before you get them as the LFS will likely lose several. The ones that stick it out are usually hardy.

I am concerned about the two gouramis in there - that is a tight space. You might have some aggresssion between them in the future, if not already.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 12:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yes, the blue gourami is constantly chasing the dwarf around. The dwarf has a spot behind rock to hide, but i feel badly for him. I was told that the set up that i have is terrible. That the fish I have are schooling fish and shouldn't just have one of each.

I did not set this tank up, we inherited it from the previous owners of our new house.

I also have a question abut heater. Right now there is no heater in tank, the temp is about 76 degrees. the fish have been living this way for i don't know how long.

The question is, do I add a heater, and how will this affect them? I am afraid if I raise the temp they will all die, especially because they have been living without a heater all of this time.

Please adivse....
1 Rosy Barb
1 Blue Gourami
1 Sucker fish
Old 08-02-2004, 01:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

76 degrees should be fine for tropical fish, you'd probably want the heater to make sure the temperature doesn't drop when the lights are off

**edit**
I bought a pair of otos once and they rid my entire 10 gal including gravel, glass, and decorations of algea in two days, make sure you have some other food on hand for them.

And you might want to creat more hiding places with either plants or ornaments to give the dwarf gourmi more options

many, many baby mollies
1 small clown loach (~2-2.5", returning to LFS in august)
newaridiar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ick, platy, swordtail

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com