Swordtail weird shape now

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mulch05

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a female sword who hasn't had anymore fry for at least 3 months she's now turned a weird shape and slowed down I'm unsure on what's happening to her please can u help IMG_20181013_184934.jpegIMG_20181013_184932.jpegIMG_20181013_190945.jpeg

I would think internal parasites or if after treatment for that it doesn't go away, then fish TB Mycobacterium type of disease would be possible.

I would think internal parasites or if after treatment for that it doesn't go away, then fish TB Mycobacterium type of disease would be possible.
None of the other swords have it ? I have no way I would see if having parasites and I haven't had to treat the water. I had a small bacterial bloom last week but there was no effect to the tank other than milky water. Which has cleared after water changes and fresh filter media ie filter floss and active charcoal

Internal.

Many fish have parasites but when there is a stress of some kind the fish resistance could be lower and parasites get to be a bigger problem.

I had a wild Swordtail fry/baby and it grew up and then got to looking like that with the same hollow stomach issue. Did 2 rounds of medicated flake food one then the other about 3 weeks later and fish recovered and looked thin but normal again. It did not live as long as it should have but at least a year after the illness.

There weren't any other fish that looked like that nor it's parents in the tank where it was born.

Hospital tank is a necessity. Separate that fish from the rest. It definitely looks like internal parasites as Autumnsky said. I've experienced it with mine. I had to put everyone in a 10 gal and treat as it's easier/cheaper to treat a smaller tank. Then I had to clean the gravel with hot water and start over. Treatment took 10+ days. I started with PraziPro then had to call Seachem 888-732-2436 and explain what was going on.
I treated all because I wasn't sure if the others had it and it just didn't show as badly. In the process I lost 2 out of 7. Frequent water changes are a necessity. Good luck because parasites are hard to fight.

I have my chum who is a fish guru he's coming in tomorrow to see what's going on and set up a new tank and treat my tank also. Due my tank being sand bottomed. He's recommending taking the fish out

I would personally take this fish out and put it into quarantine ro treat with medicated fish food feeding frequently to build up weight. Then do the medicated food in the big tank as well.

My female sword is now doing well without any intervention from myself. She had just not long gave birth to fry and she is now putting weight on with regular feeds she's looking alot better thanks for comments

Back
Top Bottom