Swordtails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
So what does everyone think of Swrodtails? I am thinking of them for the 25 gallon, maybe just one but I don't know if they are solitary. Maybe a male and a female. So far I plan on getting 8 cories for the bottom, then just need a couple more kinds of fish if I can get away with it.

EDIT: Or better yet, any other ideas on stocking? I plan on using PFS for substrate and planting it, maybe some solitary fish or fish that would do good in a pair.

8 cories in a 25g is going to be already pretty taxing on your filter. I'd cut back on the catfish.

What kind of filter are you running?

Tank size wise, you will be fine with 8 cories.

How bout someHarlequin Rasboras and a gourami. I like the honey gourami.

Or if you want to go with a SA biotope since you already have cories... A few tetras and a pair of dwarf rams.

To answear you swordtail question: Liverbearers are schooling fish and do best in groups of 5+

I agree with ryder. Most swordtails are bigger fish (when fully mature) then most people think of. Properly filtered and maintained, you have a ton of options for a tank that size though. :)

6-8 cories
6-8 of whatever 2" or less schooler you like
and a centerpiece 3 incher or pair

Don't rely entirely on that site. In the other thread, http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/aqadvisor-how-legit-129476.html , it seems to be the group consensus that it will tell you that you are overstocked with 1/3 of your tank stocked. It also gives many wrong suggestions as far as tank mates and the ratios of males/females for certain species.

It can give you a ballpark figure but probably isn't very accurate. I would just research, research and research some more.

yea, i didn't really find it that accurate either, but like you said, it's a decent ballpark. i just thought it was kind of nifty and a good starting point. i also like how many different kinds of species it lists, i like going through the list to see what i want to research next.

I have used the AQ Advisor many times, I used that before I came on this site. I am thankful for the thread about it though because I have no idea how much overstocked I would be. Granted I would rather be understocked then over, but I want to have a few different kinds of fish.

The tank I'm getting tomorrow comes with a 60g whisper filter, not sure what brand but I'm pretty sure 60gph will do just fine for a 25g...lol. Especially with regular PWC's on top of it. I was wanting a stocking list like HN1 suggested, 8 cories, schooling fish (really liking swordtails and platies right now, i was thinking some red wag platies) and then a pair or solitary fish to mix with them.

Lowryder, you suggested dwarf rams? If I am correct, aren't those a type of cichlid? I would love to have some in my tank. My internet is shut off and my mom's computer is suuuuuuper slow, so I can't really research them right now. Having fishy withdrawls!

Rams are cichlids yes, but they are ones that are not very aggressive. They do well in a community setting. I've had them with neons, platies, guppies, etc. Now, the only problem with rams are that they can be a PITA to keep alive. I've probably gone through at least 50 pairs trying to keep them going. And no, nothing to do with being negligent, I think it was a mix of bad stock and our high pH water here in the mountains.

Like dragon said, they are hard to keep if you water isnt near perfect. Some are harder to keep, i.e German Blue Rams and some are easier, i.e Bolivian Rams. I have been researching Bolivians like crazy as I want to add them to my tank. There has been people who have kept them successfully in 15-20dGh water. Give them a shot, if they work than great, if not, they are fairly inexpensive.

I will definitely check into them. Sucks tht German Blues are harder to take care of, I think they are really pretty! But I like cichlids period. I didn't think I would be able to get any because of sizes but dwarfs should be fine in there. I will be sad if I do kill any though. :p

Yeah, the GBRs and the golds are about the same. I've heard good things about the Bolivians but haven't gone there yet. You can also try kribensis. They're another dwarf cichlid. They can be a little more aggressive than the rams. But that also depends on the fish.

So what does everyone think of Swrodtails? I am thinking of them for the 25 gallon, maybe just one but I don't know if they are solitary. Maybe a male and a female. So far I plan on getting 8 cories for the bottom, then just need a couple more kinds of fish if I can get away with it.

EDIT: Or better yet, any other ideas on stocking? I plan on using PFS for substrate and planting it, maybe some solitary fish or fish that would do good in a pair.

On the sword tails, just my input. I have two , a male and female. I bought four of them a long time ago. Two of the females didnt survive the first week. The two i have left are great looking. The two i have left are orange. I started feeding my tank frozen brine shrimp and their colors are excelent! I have not had the chance to get them more swords to be with , but the two stick together real well.

Yeah, the GBRs and the golds are about the same. I've heard good things about the Bolivians but haven't gone there yet. You can also try kribensis. They're another dwarf cichlid. They can be a little more aggressive than the rams. But that also depends on the fish.

One thing to keep in mind, Kribs are Africans. They will require different params than SA/CA's.

One thing to keep in mind, Kribs are Africans. They will require different params than SA/CA's.

The params for a lot of riverine African fish are actually pretty close to those that SA/CA excel in. The lake cichlids are to be avoided if you are trying to match. Kribs, IMO, are just too boisterous and prolific for a small tank, but parameter wise fine. Just about any mass-farmed fish will be somewhat adaptable and are not necessarily raised in their "ideal water conditions".

Many of the apistos available are much hardier than the blue and gold rams and just as pretty.

Kribs are africans yes, but they can acclimate to different water parameters better than a ram can. Really the only major difference between SA/CA and africans is pH and hardness preferences, diet coming in second. The both like clean water, plants (though the larger africans might make a salad bar out of a planted tank, kribs usually don't) The GBRs and golds prefer a 5-6 range pH where as kribs range anywhere in the 5-8.

We have high pH water here, we're right up against the mountains, our 120 that has jack dempseys also houses 2 jewels. Jewels are africans. Both species are thriving in this tank. Both species have striking colors, are very alert and very personable (they like to play when I'm cleaning the tank)The rams we had however, they didnt live more than a few weeks at a time. They spawned like crazy, but then died off. Our kribs did the same thing. We finally figured that when I do water changes the pH spiked too much and they couldnt handle it. Now mind you, I do the same process for all of our tanks and the rams/kribs were the only ones affected. I have since learned that I will need to gas off my fill water once we get that tank stocked again. Right now it has otos and giant danios to keep the bacteria alive. My point is, in one tank we have a mix of SA/CA and africans, they are thriving, despite "needing" different water parameters, another tank was SA/CA and africans, they didnt fair to well.

As HN1 said, they can be a bit of a handful, but compared to their cousins, the other types of africans, they aren't nearly as aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom