synodontis eupterus eat other fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sidman24

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been told it will eat adult firemouths and other fish... I'm not sure if that's true... The smallest fish in my tank are cories. I have a juvie now and so far he hangs out with them in their cave... Will he eat any other fish when he grows up? I plan to move him to my cichlid tank when he's bigger, but that also has cories.

They get pretty big and can be kind of aggressive. I would probably avoid keeping him with more delicate / smaller fish such as cories. They also do better in groups.

The fish you have now is still small. I've seen one that was nearly two feet

Syno Eupterus usually max out around 8" and would NEVER be able to EAT a firemouth, unless the firemouth was a fry. They can be nippy, and territoral, but not overly aggressive. Only fish under 2" would be in trouble. Cory cats wouldnt be the best tank mates for a eupterus, they could be very stressed by the overbearingness of the syno.

Big fish will eat little fish. If it fits in their mouth, its food for them.

Well right now as he is still very small he actually hangs out with the cories and they don't seem to mind, he usually hangs upside down on the cave where the cories lay

Back
Top Bottom