T5 or LEDs plz help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MightyO

Aquarium Advice Activist
I really need help with this I'm trying to figure out what should I get I have a 150 gallon aquarium 72 x18x24 I recently are looking at two particular fixture the odyssea t5 an the beams work led an I'm not trying to spend over $300

Led, smaller profile, less heat more coaster effective long term and no bulb replacement down time

True but will it put the same amount of output then the t5

I think its a bit less but that all depends on which led fixture you get. I have led by finnex and my 75g is showing amazing growth.

If this is for a planted tank then you need to decide what level of light, low, med, or high you want which determines the type of plants you can successfully grow. Par levels are much lower in deeper tanks. I have a 220g tank that is 30" deep and have a combination of T5HO, Metal Halide, and BML Led fixture to achieve high light deep into the tank. Build My Led website has Par levels for their fixtures which is what I suggest you look up for the fixtures your interested in to determine the level of light you'll get.

The one I saw was beams works it's called snake eyes ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398902044.120596.jpg

The Beamswork LED set looks pretty awesome. Find the ones with 6500K LED's for your plants. The 10000K ones are more for soft corals. They easily penetrate down to at least 20" from what I'm seeing.

You need the Par level of the fixture you want. Plants can use light from about 5000K to 10000K. I like 6000-6700K as they make red/pink fish and plants look better but many find that spectrum too dim for their liking. People often use 10K because it is very bright to the human eye but it washes out the color of red/pink fish and plants. BML fixtures actually makes a 10K that doesn't wash reds out. The type of plants you want to grow will determine the Par level you need to be looking at. Also remember medium to high Par levels in a tank means you will need to use higher doses of liquid carbon or pressurized carbon and a good fert regime. In a large tank dry ferts are very economical. You need to consider a lot of things before choosing which fixture you want to use.

Well y'all I got what I thought was beams work was actually odyssea also an here how it looks on the aquarium ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1400446221.560121.jpg

Back
Top Bottom