Table (iodized) salt- will it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tigroscr said:
You said you already have an established brackish tank right? What did you use to make it brackish? Use whatever worked for you that you've been successful with. I just don't know enough about the natural sea salt table salt to recommend using it for a brackish aquarium. I've personally never used it but I have used non- iodized table salt to treat fin rot successfully. But it's not something I use regularly. :)

No, but I have a tank i can convert to brackish. But I don't have marine salt.

maxwellag said:
No, but I have a tank i can convert to brackish. But I don't have marine salt.

Well max IMO and personal experience you would NEED the marine salt to do a brackish tank. Maybe someone else would offer their opinion if using the natural sea salt can be used. I just don't want to recommend using a product I've never used! Hopefully someone else will come along or do a search on here for a thread about the correct types of salt to use for brackish conditions. :)

Here's the difference. Table, "natural sea salt" is just that, salt. Whereas your marine salt is not just salt, it also contains all the additional elements as well as trace elements which are needed to successfully convert non saltwater into saltwater. As was suggested, you need to go the LFS and pick up some salt for saltwater aquariums if you want to run a successful brackish tank.

Wy Renegade said:
Here's the difference. Table, "natural sea salt" is just that, salt. Whereas your marine salt is not just salt, it also contains all the additional elements as well as trace elements which are needed to successfully convert non saltwater into saltwater. As was suggested, you need to go the LFS and pick up some salt for saltwater aquariums if you want to run a successful brackish tank.

It's not table salt. Its noniodized salt.

mfdrookie516 said:
You can get a small bag for less than $10 at most LFS. I think petsmart even has it.

Alright, will do, but I just went earlier today before starting this thread, so ill have to wait until next time my mom tolerates abefore trip to the lfs... lol

Back
Top Bottom