Tahitian Moon Black Sand/ Moonlight White Aquarium Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angels004

Aquarium Advice Regular
i was the one asking about 10 gl. aquarium sand earlier, and i thought i had decided to go with gravel but ive been online at petsmart.com and there i saw tahitian moon black sand and Moonlight White Aquarium Sand

This 100% natural aquarium substrate will create a unique look in your fresh or saltwater aquarium. Contains no plastic coatings; simply rinse before use. Black "Tahitian Moon" sand creates a dramatic look in any underwater environment.

what are your opinions about this ??

Opinion? What does my opinion matter? Do you like the White or the black? There is also a clay red on the market. Aquatic sand is usually fine to use (after a good rinse) and can be very effective as a substrate for plants or a contrast to gravel. Do not use it if you employ the use of an undergravel filter though

no, not about the color. im wanting an opinion about the sand itself, if this is better than gravel

Depends on what you intend to do. From what I understand, some sand can affect the water hardness which is good for sth African chiclids etc. This, I think, is caused by the presense of calcium in the sand. It is also good for getting difficult plants to anchor and can be a good decoration when combined with gravel. Primarily though, I think you need to find out how the sand that is availible to you will affect your water chemistry and then use that to decided depending on the needs of your fish

The sand you are talking about will not change your water chemistry. If you like it, then go ahead and get it. :D If you're looking at the white sand, however, I'd suggest pool filter sand. It's white, has larger and smoother grains than play sand, and it's much cheaper than aquarium sand. You can get it at pool supply stores, and I got a 50 pound bag for $9. Oh, and PFS won't change your water chemistry either.

I like tahitian moon sand...i use it in my 20gal planted Kribensis tank. not the most ideal plant substrate, but it works.

hmm thanks guys, ill probably go with the black because the white might make my tank look dirtier ?? well ok thanks!

yeah i like black because the fish stand out to it more.

yeah pool filter sands the same thing as silica sand that you can find at menards and stuff. i bought mine for 5$ for 50 lbs. i dont know if their the same size though. its called "handy sand"

depending on yor fish I find TMS to be very sharp as oppsed to other substrates
so if you have bottom dwellers it might not be the best-Anne

Back
Top Bottom