tahitian moon sand and leaching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

push350z

Aquarium Advice Regular
I previously had PFS sand in my 46 gal tank and after leaching and causing a diatom bloom I had a nasty algae outbreak. Ultimately I had to break the tank down and clean it out. Now that the sand has leached all the silica out I wanted to reuse it, but I found that getting all the algae off the sand and seperated from the PFS is a PITA. I love the sand look and found that a local pet store has tahitian moon sand, and I was just wondering if sand designed for aquariums would have the same leaching problems as my PFS. I was thinking not, the PFS is sold by caribsea. Anyone have any leaching problems with it? If i'm going to spend $40 on sand I don't want to have the same leaching problems again. I went on the caribsea site and it said it's inert, so that means no leaching correct?

TMS is used in saltwater applications often, so i am pretty sure there is no silica in it.

re: corys. I asked the local guru at my LFS and he said that corys will end up ingesting some, and they have a very difficult time processing it. Which is a shame. I love the look of sand. Looks so much cleaner to me than gravel.

Back
Top Bottom