Taking a filter out of my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're all good to remove the ac30 if you have not yet.
It is a good filter though so ask yourself first if you need to remove it?
I run a ac70 &50 on one of my 40g GBR tanks.
I just wanted to remove it to upgrade the filtration on my 10g. I know what you mean though - these filters are great - and in the future I may upgrade to an AC70.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

So, if one were to move the biomedia and a large piece of the sponge from an old filter to a new filter, would there be a loss of BB appreciable enough to cause an ammonia spike? Of course, there's BB coating the walls of the old filter, but I can't imagine that colony size is anywhere near what's in the filter media.
That's the approach I wanted to take, but the filters are not compatible; the one on the 10g is a topfin10 which takes a certain cartridge. The AC30 obviously has a much different (and imo much better) set up, so they are incompatible. That's why I figured to just use the already existing BB on the 30 and leave the AC50 on my larger tank.

Is there a reason you wanted to upgrade water quality wise?
The BB in any "system"(tank/filter....) will only grow to level needed.
The addition of the second HOB in any of my tanks is more mechanical and flow then anything else.

Is there a reason you wanted to upgrade water quality wise?
The BB in any "system"(tank/filter....) will only grow to level needed.
The addition of the second HOB in any of my tanks is more mechanical and flow then anything else.
The main reason is simply the quality of the current topfin filter. Imo it doesn't do a very good job and I'm limited in media to the cartridges it takes. I've always heard that a higher level filter on a tank won't hurt, so I decided to upgrade.

Water quality as of right now is fine, but what I'd like about the AC is that I can insert a mesh bag of Purigen to remove the slight discoloration of the water due to tannis from driftwood (its not much, and ik some fish like it - although not any that I'm keeping - but i don't like the look).

Totally understand your reasons for upgrading. I own a top fin filter and they leave a lot to be desired. The aquaclear filters are far superior.
Imo topfin and some tetra products are very 'bare bones' and suited for the very new beginners. This was my first tank, so I am upgrading all of my beginning stuff.

And unless I get a huge tank or saltwater, I will always go with AC filters for now on. They're very good imo.

Back on topic, AC filters look like they allow much much more room for BB to grow, and allowed for a better (and adjustable) flow rate, so those were other factors I considered.

Imo topfin and some tetra products are very 'bare bones' and suited for the very new beginners. This was my first tank, so I am upgrading all of my beginning stuff.

And unless I get a huge tank or saltwater, I will always go with AC filters for now on. They're very good imo.

Back on topic, AC filters look like they allow much much more room for BB to grow, and allowed for a better (and adjustable) flow rate, so those were other factors I considered.

You made a very good decision IMO!:cool:
If it is not an air driven sponge for my breeders,
a sump for my overflows,
it is a Aqua Clear for me!
12 of them for me and the fish room!
They are very "customizable" and there are even after market products for the ACs~
InTank media basket breathes new life into AquaClear 70 power filter

You made a very good decision IMO!:cool:
If it is not an air driven sponge for my breeders,
a sump for my overflows,
it is a Aqua Clear for me!
12 of them for me and the fish room!
They are very "customizable" and there are even after market products for the ACs~
InTank media basket breathes new life into AquaClear 70 power filter
Its all about optimization my friend ? thank you! Even if I do my idea of a nano saltwater tank I think an AC would still be a good bet (but that's another conversation and another thread lol).

Thank you for the link also, and thanks everyone for your help!

The Top Fin 10 is indeed a piece of junk. There's just barely enough room for the skinny filter piece that comes with it and you'll struggle to find room for bio media. I use one in my quarantine/hospital tank, and that's all it's good for.

I have an AQ 30 on my 20 high and had an AQ 50 on my 29. Both are excellent filters and very quiet.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom