Taking Fish Tanks to College

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishandmusic81

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So this fall I'll be going off to college depending if I go to one close of enough to stay at home or have to get a dorm effects what fish tanks I will be able to have I'm sure all colleges have their own rules on that matter I just wanted to see how many people here are attending college and have a fish tank and if so
What size?
Size limit?
Stock?
Thanks!

I started up this hobby after I left the dorms and am now currently in an apartment, so idk about dorm fish though I wouldn't recommend it for simple lack of space and likely move at the end of the year. But on to your questions!

15g freshwater (I wouldn't go any larger than this as I know this place isn't permanent)
5 danios
3 peppered corys
1 bamboo shrimp
Some ghost shrimp

5.5g planted
1 betta

At my apartment (which is school owned) the only pets you can have are fish. I think size limit is just based on practicality. Pretty sure they'd be a little concerned with a 55 or something lol, but they haven't heckled me after 8-9 months with the tank in there.

Fishandmusic81 said:
So this fall I'll be going off to college depending if I go to one close of enough to stay at home or have to get a dorm effects what fish tanks I will be able to have I'm sure all colleges have their own rules on that matter I just wanted to see how many people here are attending college and have a fish tank and if so
What size?
Size limit?
Stock?
Thanks!

Hey I'm in college now.

I'm in love with nano tanks. I find even a 5g is kind of a hassle. I'm looking to downgrade to a 2g nano.

College Kid said:
I started up this hobby after I left the dorms and am now currently in an apartment, so idk about dorm fish though I wouldn't recommend it for simple lack of space and likely move at the end of the year. But on to your questions!

15g freshwater (I wouldn't go any larger than this as I know this place isn't permanent)
5 danios
3 peppered corys
1 bamboo shrimp
Some ghost shrimp

5.5g planted
1 betta

At my apartment (which is school owned) the only pets you can have are fish. I think size limit is just based on practicality. Pretty sure they'd be a little concerned with a 55 or something lol, but they haven't heckled me after 8-9 months with the tank in there.

Oh right idk how that didn't occur to me that you can move into school owned apartments after freshmen year lol but smaller planted tanks would definitely be the way to go
But if I go to one near and stay home I'll have 6 tanks lol

What Seems like a million years ago (I jest of course) I had a 30 Long with an Oscar in my Frat, One guy had a 55 gallon but he left it there and brought the Fish (an 10 in oscar) home on Breaks and Summer. Most guys had Oscars,convicts, Jack Dempesys, Firemouths or Piranhas. You just did not have the selection of other types back then that I could remember. We only had one local Fish store around and that is what he carried. In the Dorms I believe was only 20 gallon but everyone broke the rules so sorry if I'm muddying the waters for you I would just do what you can handle or at least fit in your car.

Pton46 said:
What Seems like a million years ago (I jest of course) I had a 30 Long with an Oscar in my Frat, One guy had a 55 gallon but he left it there and brought the Fish (an 10 in oscar) home on Breaks and Summer. Most guys had Oscars,convicts, Jack Dempesys, Firemouths or Piranhas. You just did not have the selection of other types back then that I could remember. We only had one local Fish store around and that is what he carried. In the Dorms I believe was only 20 gallon but everyone broke the rules so sorry if I'm muddying the waters for you I would just do what you can handle or at least fit in your car.

Hm yeah I can see how in the recent years it has gotten easier to bring smaller tropical fish and they do dorm checks much more now with all the negative events that has been going on in colleges and I'm pretty sure they'd say something if I have a pretty large tank now lol

More the reason to Pledge....find the Frat House with the most Tanks...and there is the place for you...lol. Just Kidding.

Fishandmusic81 said:
Hm yeah I can see how in the recent years it has gotten easier to bring smaller tropical fish and they do dorm checks much more now with all the negative events that has been going on in colleges and I'm pretty sure they'd say something if I have a pretty large tank now lol

Lol, imagine you RA walking into your room and coming face to face with giant gar. Even funnier if they are afraid of fish:)

Tetra1990 said:
Lol, imagine you RA walking into your room and coming face to face with giant gar. Even funnier if they are afraid of fish:)

Lo that'd be awesome although their could be the chance I could get in trouble lol

I'm in college (for the next month GRADUATION BABY) and I have a 40 long and a 10. But if I was just starting out in school I would go with a planted 5 or so. Moves easy, which is crucial. Plus going into college you'll find lots of other stuff to occupy your time ;)

Predfan27 said:
I'm in college (for the next month GRADUATION BABY) and I have a 40 long and a 10. But if I was just starting out in school I would go with a planted 5 or so. Moves easy, which is crucial. Plus going into college you'll find lots of other stuff to occupy your time ;)

Lol I can already tell from the visits I've gone to
I think I am gonna do a planted 5 with a betta

I'm in college and I live in a duplex abd I have a 55 community fully stocked tank. Absolutely love it! Great party attraction and much easier to maintain water levels in a slightly bigger tank. Last year I was in the dorms and had a 10 with no problems.

Good luck!

Word of advice: Find a good lfs.in your college town

Definitely go with the 5, but no bigger.

Even consider a two or three if you have a long drive.

I keep shrimp and maybe micro fish. Shrimp and inverts are the most interesting creatures in this hobby. They're fun, lucrative and sustainable.

Tetra1990 said:

I'm the RA of my floor ;) I only wish someone else here had a fish tank.

techo said:
I'm in college and I live in a duplex abd I have a 55 community fully stocked tank. Absolutely love it! Great party attraction and much easier to maintain water levels in a slightly bigger tank. Last year I was in the dorms and had a 10 with no problems.

Good luck!

Word of advice: Find a good lfs.in your college town

A 55 that's awesome thanks!
And the best lfs in the state is in the city where the college is so I should have no problem getting what I need

MABJ said:
Definitely go with the 5, but no bigger.

Even consider a two or three if you have a long drive.

I keep shrimp and maybe micro fish. Shrimp and inverts are the most interesting creatures in this hobby. They're fun, lucrative and sustainable.

It's a 2 hour drive from home
And I'd have no problem keeping shrimp I was thinking of getting a shrimp tank full of RCS

Yeah! That's what I've got now. It's got plants and one RCS in it, one died :/ store didn't take great care of them. And I think I've got more on the way.

Even with one, I can't stop watching lol. And I never have to feed him.

MABJ said:
Yeah! That's what I've got now. It's got plants and one RCS in it, one died :/ store didn't take great care of them. And I think I've got more on the way.

Even with one, I can't stop watching lol. And I never have to feed him.

Lol they are definitely interesting I can just from watching my ghosts and I'm sure since RCS stand out more it'll be even better
I haven't seen a lfs that sells them yet an online from what I've seen are expensive and you buy in bulk like 20-30 RCS in one order
do they get around the size of s ghost?
And how much could be kept in say a heavily planted 5?

Back
Top Bottom