Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-27-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Taking the plunge....

Sorry for the pun....

Yes, I'm thinking of getting this tank:

Clickety click

which is the same tank as my mums only this one is blue and hers is black (and this one is about £30 cheaper!!! ), I'm not after a fancy tank, no tropical stuff or salty fish, just something to watch and enjoy looking after with no troubles with heat or salt...

Anyway, other than the Weather Loaches, what fish would be suited for someone like me and my tank (if I get one)?

Thanks!!!

EDIT:
And this "Cycling" lark, what would I need to do before I add the fish/more fish?

Old 05-27-2006, 05:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
Welcome to AA! For cycling a tank you can read this article. I prefer to use pure ammonia instead of shrimp. Or you can get some established media from another established tank and seed the filter.

If you don't want a heater, your options will be limited. I'm not familiar with a lot of cold water fish that will survive in that size tank.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagz
Welcome to AA! For cycling a tank you can read this article. I prefer to use pure ammonia instead of shrimp. Or you can get some established media from another established tank and seed the filter.

If you don't want a heater, your options will be limited. I'm not familiar with a lot of cold water fish that will survive in that size tank.
Thanks....

So, if I say, borrowed the filter sponge (wheh soiled) from my mum's tank and rinsed it off in my tank, would that suffice to aid cycling?

Coldwater fish are fairly common here in the UK, as they usually come in the form of goldfish from funfairs in a plastic bag (rather cruel in my opinion, loads tend to suffocate and die whilst hung there as prizes), but I definately wat the same type of loach as my mum's as they're really funny to watch zipping about all over the place!!! I'll probably go with my mum to the petshop when she next decides on getting another fish or two and see what they have...
Old 05-27-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I'd either add the sponge to your filter or just leave it in your tank on the substrate. If you can't do that then rinsing it out in the water will definately help.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Goldfish are a definate no for that size of tank and also won't do with a loach. You could get a few platies. They don't need a heater and do fairly well without tons of caretaking.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DepotFish
Goldfish are a definate no for that size of tank and also won't do with a loach. You could get a few platies. They don't need a heater and do fairly well without tons of caretaking.
Well, my mum's 3 goldfish (some fancy breed with interesting tails) and her loach & 2 other residents are happy in the same sized tank, the only trouble they have is some algae on the glass, which I'm tying to sort out, they enjoy swimming in the water stream from the filter. I guess tank reccomendations are different accross the pond because there are plenty of tanks even smaller than the one I want with a few goldfish in and they don't appear to suffer in this country...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagz
I'd either add the sponge to your filter or just leave it in your tank on the substrate. If you can't do that then rinsing it out in the water will definately help.
I think the sponge rinse would be the easier option for me, as I can swap the sponge with my new one (if I get the same tank) and I keep the soiled sponge for my tank, the rinsing would be because I'm not sure if the carbon filters and Biorbs would affect the cycling...

Also, how long do I cycle for?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Thebluyak
you would be able to broaden your horizon tremendesly if you just bought a heater, they dont require any maintence and a good brand like visitherm can keep your tank within 1 degree. Also if your fish ever got ICH you would be able to treat it without meds, but if you really dont wanna heater there are fish that can do coldwater, I just dont know anything about cold water fish. : )

You need a test kit to know exactly when your cycle is over, generally it is an ammonia spike, then fades to zero or close, then a nitrite spike then fades to zero and then you are left with nitrates which is why you do w/c to rid the nitrates. Your cycle will vary depending on conditions tempature paitence etc.. but once ammonia and nitrites hit zero and can stay zero then you are done.

I just saw what size tank it was, you could get a 50 watt heater for real cheap, you defiently wouldnt need anything bigger than a 100watt and those are only like $15 in american, the 100 watt that is
Old 05-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebluyak
you would be able to broaden your horizon tremendesly if you just bought a heater, they dont require any maintence and a good brand like visitherm can keep your tank within 1 degree. Also if your fish ever got ICH you would be able to treat it without meds, but if you really dont wanna heater there are fish that can do coldwater, I just dont know anything about cold water fish. : )

You need a test kit to know exactly when your cycle is over, generally it is an ammonia spike, then fades to zero or close, then a nitrite spike then fades to zero and then you are left with nitrates which is why you do w/c to rid the nitrates. Your cycle will vary depending on conditions tempature paitence etc.. but once ammonia and nitrites hit zero and can stay zero then you are done.
I'm on a tight budget unfortunately, and when I saw that tank for £40 I thought that I might aswell go for that seeing as how I can already see one in action. There is a heated version for sale too but as I said, tight budget....

I'm sure I could get hold of a test kit at one of the local pet shops who stock fish. So, after rinsing the soiled sponge in the water, do I need to add anything during the cycling, like fish food (in order to feed the bacteria)?
Old 05-28-2006, 12:56 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I guess tank reccomendations are different accross the pond because there are plenty of tanks even smaller than the one I want with a few goldfish in and they don't appear to suffer in this country...
Goldfish grow to be large or larger (depending on the variety) and are very dirty fish; they eat a lot and poop a lot, which equals more work for you! They might survive in a tiny tank, but they won't thrive or be happy. In any case you would have to move them to a larger tank in short order.

I don't know if you can get them, but some teensy native fish like these http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_H...ia_formosa.php; don't require heat, and stay tiny. Plop in a wee snail and you're set!

They do make a teensy heater for about $8 USD, too, which would help keep the temp stable. Then you would have a lot more fish to choose from--

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
plecoperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecoperson
Goldfish grow to be large or larger (depending on the variety) and are very dirty fish; they eat a lot and poop a lot, which equals more work for you! They might survive in a tiny tank, but they won't thrive or be happy. In any case you would have to move them to a larger tank in short order.

I don't know if you can get them, but some teensy native fish like these http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_H...ia_formosa.php; don't require heat, and stay tiny. Plop in a wee snail and you're set!

They do make a teensy heater for about $8 USD, too, which would help keep the temp stable. Then you would have a lot more fish to choose from--
My dad had a goldfish (called Jerry, used to have another called Tom, but that died), it started off at about 1 1/2", and ended up at 9" long after being moved into a pond!!! I probably wont get goldfish (or this rather posh looking variety my mum has), I just want something that I'll enjoy looking at and playing with, like Weather loaches...

I think there's a variety of Minnows in the local river, but the quality of the water is a litle sketchy so I'll leave them there, as I said I'll be having a look about in the petshop my mum went to for her fish and see what they have on display, not after anything big or fancy...

As I said before, there is a version of the same tank with a heater, it's about £5 more, but that's £5 less to spend on fish...

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com