Tall Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cindy Britt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Our school has a 5 foot tall tank. It is very pretty and the children really enjoy it. We are having trouble keeping fish alive in it. We have been told the water pressure may be to much for typical aquarium fish. Any suggestions? Our local petstore did not have many suggestions. We are open to other aquatic animals such as frogs, turtles, shrimp, etc.

How long has it been set up and what type of fish are in it? Do you test the water, what are the parameters? How wide is this tank, or better yet do you know how many gallons? how about the cleaning schedule

I could be wrong but I really would think it's strange if it's water pressure killing this fish... unless you mean it's a high power filter causing a lot of current? I think it's probably something else all together. There are tons of big fish that need lots of space and would probably love a tank like this.. though it's hard to say much without a general size idea of the tank.. 5 feet high is a lot but how wide is it? horizontal swimming space is very important with most fish, perhaps there is just have a poor stock choice. Or are missing something like an illness or poor water quality.

I don't know much about turtles but most frogs I know of don't do well in really deep depths, they need easy access to the surface usually

The taller the tank the less surface area usually. there's less area for gas exchange, make sure the water is agitated well at the surface to aid in this exchange this will help supply more oxygen to the water and help release the carbon dioxide.

I agree with pressure not being an issue. We really need to know more about the tank, ie filter, stocking, age, parameters, etc, to find your problem.

Add an airstone and yeah, we need to know all the things listed above.

Thank you all!

The tank is 14x10x60 30 gallon tank. It is fairly new so we have not done much to trouble shoot. We are taking a water sample today to see if we need to add anything. I can see where the filter it came with may be inadequate so we can get a larger one. There is not alot of horizontal room. Are there fish who prefer vertical?

Cindy Britt said:
Thank you all!

The tank is 14x10x60 30 gallon tank. It is fairly new so we have not done much to trouble shoot. We are taking a water sample today to see if we need to add anything. I can see where the filter it came with may be inadequate so we can get a larger one. There is not alot of horizontal room. Are there fish who prefer vertical?

A bigger filter and an airstone would help. You can never have to much filtration. I would guess your tank wasn't cycled and that's why your fish died.

I'm confused alittle... a 30 gallon tank wouldn't be 5 foot tall or are you measuring the tank and stand height together? You need to get an API master test kit so you can measure your Ph, amnomia, nitrite, and nitrates. If the tank hasn't cycled it is what most likely killed your fish. You have to add fish gradually not all at once. I saw this forum has a "Getting started" section that might be of help. And as for fish that like tall tanks I had a 29 tall years ago and I had a couple of angel, some tetra's and a couple cory cats on the bottom.

14x10x60 is about 35 gallons or so. It's probably a specially designed column tanks. They were popular for awhile in hotels and restaurants, so and they pop up once in awhile.

that is a very odd shaped tank. hmmm.

First of all it sounds like you haven't cycled your tank, this is probably why you are loosing fish. The cycle is the process when the tank builds up bacteria that break down waste in the tank. Waste(food, fish waste, ect) creates ammonia that will kill fish. The bacteria will break down the ammonia to nitrite and then from nitrite to nitrate. This is a slow process and takes several weeks.

Instead of taking the water to be tested I suggest you all pick up your own liquid kit. You will need to do a lot of tests and water changes over the next while to keep the fish in the tank alive. Don't start adding chemicals to the tank, these things are short term fixes and usually cause more problems than they solve. All you need is a good water conditioner... something like Seacheams PRIME would be very helpful.

I would next suggest you check out some articles on this site. There is a thread stickies at the top of the forum with good articles. They will break down the whole cycle process for you so you know what we are talking about. lol.

As for fish.. I'm really not sure what to stock in a tank that size.. It's 60 inches tall and about a foot wide?? with the dimensions you gave I got 36 gallons which would be a fantastic size tank.. if not for a crazy shape. hmm.. usually I suggest guppies for tall tanks, they are good all over swimmers.

You probably need to up your filtration and should add an airstone. With so little surface area your fish probably need the added help for oxygen.

I think Angels like tall tanks.

It is often recommended but with a tank that is roughly a foot wide I don't think a 6 inch adult angel is a great option. lol.

A tank full of nano fish would be wicked. Like Ember tetras or CDPs. Kids would probably get a good charge out of shrimp too.

I agree now that I have a grip on the type tank it is. I really can't imagine what type of fish other than small ones could work. An angel would go batty in that.

Back
Top Bottom