tanins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
no rocks, just driftwood with plenty of hiding places (now that the crabs keep poking holes in em).. I have about ~55lbs or so of sand... Im guessing this is it -- I read that sand, atleast calcium based sand, raises pH like the livesand in sw tanks... unfortunately I dont have any thing that says the "ingredients" in the sand, because the lfs didn't have any labels whatsoever on it, and the guy said it would be fine for reg. freshwater...

strange thing is I used this same sand on other tanks (same bags) and pH is 7.2 and 7.4 respectively

I soaked 3 large pieces of Malaysian driftwood for 10 days and then boiled (simmered) them for about five hours. The cooking released alot (!) of tannins. I'm still soaking as I'm waiting for my tank to cyle. They have not released as much coloring in the bucket since. I may cook them one more time before adding them to the tank

O.K. my first submit did not go through. I boiled 3 pieces of Mayalsian driftwood for about 5 hours after first soaking them for about 10 days. The cooking released a lot (!) of tannins even though I changed the soaking water every other day. I've since returned the wood to soak in the buckets while I wait for my tank to cycle.
Much less color is seen the water now. I don't think it will make mucn color impact on a 90 gal tank. Ph changes will remain to be seen.

After boiling my wood, I did notice that, although the bucket water was still dark, the wood itself looked a bit lighter. The "knot" parts of the wood are the darkest. I think I'm going to ask a neighbor to boil it once more for me. Like you, caribou, I just "simmered" the wood. I got the water steamy with a few bubbles coming up, but it wasn't a full boil.

Although my wood is back in the bucket now, and the water is yellow after 5 or so hours, I did a pH test, and I could still read it. A small amount of water in the test vial wasn't yellow enough to make the test unreadable. My tap pH is 8.2. After aging overnight it's 7.8, and overnight, the bucket water (where the wood is) was 7.0 pH. Caribou, I think you're right -- in your 90 gallon tank, the color won't be really noticeable. Also, the cooler water will lessen the leaching of the tannins. I say "cooler" water because the tank temperature of 78 or so will probably not make the wood leach as fast as the soaking water. I have boiled my wood once, but then I was soaking it tap water (with dechlor) as hot as I could get the tap water.

I have a 165 gal tank that I have 2 tiger oscars and 2 blood parrots in. I have a nice piece of drift that is in the middle. I've had the tank set up for about 3 months and I've done any where from 25 to 50% water change any suggestions on how to remove the tannis from the tank. It looks great from the front but you can easily see from the side the yellowish color in the water. I have a wet/dry filter and I also use a Micron 100 with it. I clean the Micron out every other day with tank water. Any suggestions it's driving me insane I feel like my tank is dirty all the time Please help :confused:

Attachments

• DSC00144.jpg
    DSC00144.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00388.jpg
    DSC00388.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 51
You can try putting carbon somewhere, since that'd take out the tanins.

As for the sand, if the sand is flakey and white, odds are its calcium based. I haven't gone through the thread yet, but the way to check is the vinegar test. You mix some vinegar with the sand and if it bubbles, its going to raise ph/hardness. It's the same reaction as with baking soda/vinegar.

Well I actually purchased River Pebbles from lowe's being it was cheaper to buy that vs gravel for a 165 gal tank. I rinsed them really well until the water ran clear before putting them in the tank. However, no one told me to boil the driftwood and I keep seeing where people are doing that, is that what I should of done? I have 2 different kinds of carbon in my sump I have the solid black one and the black and white one.

Pebbles generally aren't a problem, and yours are probably fine. Tannins are basically harmless, just the appearance is kinda ugly. I believe the black and white carbon is ammo-carb and it probably isn't very good if your cycling right now.

Boiling is to reduce tannins in the tank and kill anything living on the driftwood.

I've had the water tested several times and the cycling is done. So should I remove the drift and boil is then do a 50% change before adding the drift back into the tank? or just wait until the tannins is done?

Back
Top Bottom