Tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mccl0e

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had this tank setup for about 6 months. It's 20 gallons heavy plants. I have 3 dwarf puffers and 2 otos, with 5 small Cory catfish. There is a weird coloring on the surface of my water, anyone know what it is? And my puffers don't seem to be as yellow as the ones I've seen pictures of. Can anyone tell me if my water levels are ok as well? They have always been in the good ranges on the strip but today they seem a little off. IMG_0367.jpgIMG_0368.jpgIMG_0369.jpgIMG_0370.jpgIMG_0372.jpg

Looks like an oily bio film on the top. It will mess with surface gas exchange. Lay a dry paper towel on the surface to absorb it. Keep that up until you have removed as much as possible. Perhaps on of the food you are feeding is responsible.

I usually notice some on mine when I need to do a water change. Also notice it after putting in fertilizer too. Be sure to not over feed. It is excess organic waste that is not water soluble. Like stated above it messes with gas exchange, light penetration, and looks bad. Paper towel trick works or I just get a cup and skim it off the surface.

That might work....or you could lower the water level a little until the filter output creates surface agitation. This works really good and is free!! It makes a little running water sound but I find the sound relaxing.

Back
Top Bottom