Tank almost cycled got questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaindioux

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

I have a 55 ga setup with an Eheim 2215 canister filter, crushed coral is the bottom substrate to keep ph up.
I started my fish less cycle on the 1st of March and we are the 27th and I finally see my ammonia level drop today, it is at 0.25ppm.
I did use scallops for human consumption that I had in the freezer to cycle the tank, I didn't have any fish food at the time and didn't want to drive to the LFS, so since I read it was ok to use a variety of food, I did find small scallops in my freezer and dropped 2 in there.
Can I remove the scallops now or not yet? Shall I remove one at least and live the other?
When the ammonia reaches 0 can I add 1 or 2 fish to start ?
Nitrite level is high (I know it's normal at this stage) at 5.0 ppm but I keep reading that it does not really harm fish?
My PH because of the coral is high at 8.0, does that mean I have to do an African lake cichlid community? What other fish like high ph?
I don't have a hardness test kit do I need one?

Update: I just read that African cichlids do not tolerate nitrite levels so that might answer my question on that. More wait :(

Thanks

Patrick

hello! i would recommend waiting until the tank is fully cycled i.e. 0ppm amm. 0ppm nitrIte and >40ppm nitrAte before adding the fish. i lost 4 fish and a crab cycling with fish and i'd hate for you to go through that. i advise doing all you can before adding fish and if that means waiting, well you've waited this long right? i also have a 55g doing a fishless cycle. i used non-sudsing ammonia to dose the tank up to around 4-5ppm amm. run your temp up and throw a bubble bar or air stone in there or lower your water level so your filters outflow creates more oxygen. once you have nitrItes rising and ammonia dropping put in a teeny tiny bit of fishfood for phosphates. some peop[le add the fish food at first i think, but i'm waiting. ask around more about it but i'm pretty sure this is correct info. most importantly be patient. it'll happen!!

nitrite in freshwater is deadly to fish. Not sure where you read it wasn't, but I sure wouldn't reference that source for any further research.

Hi

Ok thanks to the 2 posters so far. I forgot to mention that I have had my heater set on high, water is at 86 right now and that is the max my reader will read so it might be higher.
I just added some water this AM as the eheim bar was making too much noise spraying the water back into the tank, I will remove some water to raise oxygen levels.
Don't worry I'll wait, I am not stupid.

Thanks and keep answers coming

Patrick

Use the search feature and find an article called "Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle". That thing is like the bible for fishless cycling. Also read through all the Q&A after the article, there's fantastic info there too.

The good news is that if there's nitrItes in the tank you're not too far away from the tank being cycled. Check out the article I mentioned and keep feeding the tank an ammonia source (scallops, pure ammonia, etc...). This in turn will keep growing the bacteria that is turning the ammonia to nitrItes, and you should be at the stage right now where the bacteria that is turning nitrItes into nitrAtes is colonizing. Once those two bacteria colonies are developed and you can turn 4ppm of ammonia >nitrItes>nitrAtes in 24 hours, you're cycled! Then just do a huge water change to get the nitrAte levels to a safe level for fish.

Eco23

Awesome post, very helpful, I will check your link.

Thanks so much

Patrick

Back
Top Bottom