Tank and vacation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sheea

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How long can two oranda goldfish (one xs, and one med sized) survive in a 10 gallon tank, with a filter (that can filter about 20 gallons), and a someone feeding it everyday? I am coming home today, and i was gone for aprox. 6 days, and cleaned it about 3-4 days before i left, are they okay? When i get home ill clean asap, just want reassurance?

Yeah they should be fine just make a large 50-75% water change when you get home.

Your tank is overstocked you would need at least a 29 gallon for two goldfish. They may seem small now but they will grow fast and become even bigger poop machines than they are now.

Yep! I am planning on moving them to a 20 gallon, which is all the space i have in a dorm room! Thank you for your advice!

Unfortunately a 20 gallon is only big enough for one. I suggest finding room for a larger tank or giving one to a lfs.

Yes! I will be moving them to a 20 gallon tank, unfortunately thats all the space i have in my dorm room! :(!

Not to say your wrong, but goldfish do display schooling brhavior

Do what you want but please take into consideration that 2 goldfish can't thrive in a 20 gallon. Also there is a large difference between thriving and surviving.

My grandma has 2 calico goldfish an a common goldfish with a glofish all in a 10 gallon and they are happy as can be

Mckitrick said:
My grandma has 2 calico goldfish an a common goldfish with a glofish all in a 10 gallon and they are happy as can be

The rule of thumb is 20 gallons for the first one and 10 for every fish after that. But I can't remember what variety that pertains to. Also, the glofish couldn't have been happy because they enjoy groups and need lateral swimming room of at least a 20 gallon long tank.

Also, calico are pond fish maxing out at more than 6 inches and common goldies can grow past a foot long I believe

Yes i know but im not gonna try to explain every aspect of fish keeping to her and they are fancy double tail calico goldfish so they wont grow that big

Well thank you all for your recommendations, but i think they both will be fine in a 20:)

Yes, i have. I am giving them tge most space i can offer at this point in time.

Back
Top Bottom