Tank Backing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BASSNMAN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have just put up a 125 gal community tank. I had not decided on a backing as the LFS has a limited selection on 20 inch wide material. After reading some of the info on this site, I thought black might look good. I had some roofing paper so I cut off a small piece and taped it on the back. Looked good, so I cut a 20 in. by 6 ft section and installed it with packing tape. It looks great. It is flat black, waterproof and has a slight texture. You can get a 50 ft roll for about $5. Why spend $25 at the LFS.

That's a great idea, since many aquarists choose a black background. For a larger tank it pays to improvise, if you've ever checked the prices on those pre-made aquarium backgounds! 8O

I have a 'reverse' question. I have a 90 gal that is painted black on the outside & was wondering if it could be removed.

I bough the tank used, so I don't know what type of paint was used. Plus it is an older tank & I would guess the glass to be just a tad short of 1/2 inch thick.

Depending on the type of paint used, it can sometimes be fairly easy to remove by scraping it off with a razor blade.

jaowl said:
I have a 'reverse' question. I have a 90 gal that is painted black on the outside & was wondering if it could be removed.

I bough the tank used, so I don't know what type of paint was used. Plus it is an older tank & I would guess the glass to be just a tad short of 1/2 inch thick.

I had this problem a while back too.. if it won't come off with a razor blade, it's possible that the glass has been sandpapered. Some possibilities are shown here: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=33450

I remember reading that post!! Just not sure what I wanted to do when I read them. Now i have a 2nd tank w/no background color next to the one with the black & it makes the bigger one look so drab & dark!!

Maybe I'll just get the Everclere & if it don't work on the tank's paint--well in my moment of frustration I can drink it!! just kidding--I think.

You did not say if the tank was in use or empty. There are several good pain strippers available that will make the job easier but messy. If the tank is in use, I wiuld cover the top with plastic well taped on. This stuff is nasty. Use rubber gloves and with good ventilation. If the tank has been sanded, you will need to repaint in the color of your choice.

Back
Top Bottom