Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2003, 11:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to fletberbill
Tank Buddy for a 30" sa rtc

hi guys i want to get a tank buddy for my sa rtc. the tank is 260 uk gallons approx. seem to be getting a lot of conflicting advice. some people say dovii others say no to that, then i've been told 5 large oscars but i think they will just end up as lunch. so any suggestions much appreciated.

thanks in anticipation

Old 01-05-2004, 02:09 PM   #2

no suggestions then guys?

Old 01-05-2004, 02:20 PM   #3

Quote:
hi guys i want to get a tank buddy for my sa rtc.
Mostly Yanks here not sure which fish you are referring to? I can't get past South American??? rtc? species and size if ya don't mind, please.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:24 PM   #4

sa rtc = south american redtail catfish

and he's 31"
Old 01-05-2004, 05:21 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
"Oh lordy lou." (To quote the professor from Futurama--lookin' at ya Kaelen!)

Expect I would have responded if I was around... sorry for the delay though! Sometimes it just takes a push, and good explication.

A RTC is such a hassle. They grow to 4+ feet (though not in a tank, I expect). You're in a bit of a bind, in this case, as your tank is capacious enough for the fish (though in all fairness, a fish that large really needs a HUGE tank over 1000 gallons). But, you would need large tankmates, as the rtcs do eat smaller fish. I'd think about Pacus and Pirhanas size-wise (though I don't think I'd ever *really* recommend a Pacu to anyone!) and perhaps larger Jack Dempseys (10 inch max size). These fish can prob. fend for themselves. Most of the larger SA cichlids would probably survive if mature and moderately aggressive.

Unfortunately, I'd say "think big."

BTW. I know at least one other AA member has a RTC and a Tilapia species. Check through old posts for the words "tilapia" and "red tailed catfish" and look for pictures. This might help.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:28 PM   #6

lol i feed him 8 to 10 " tilapias

i have now been advised to go for peacock bass as they grow 2ft plus.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to AdamsZoological Send a message via Yahoo to AdamsZoological
Pacus, I wouldnt recommend, at 260 gallons, thats a push for the RTC alone, a pacu on its own would be too big for that tank, a Dempsey would be too small, an easy meal for that cat, the suggestion of a dovii I think would be your best bet, they get large, but not huge, and can more than stick up for themselves. Best of luck with it
AdamsZoological is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 06:55 PM   #8

i have been recommended dovii in the past but too agressive for my liking. my redtail is not a nasty fish so i do not need an agressor in the tank i just need something that he can't fit in his mouth
Old 01-05-2004, 07:11 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

That is the key here, they will eat anything that fits in their mouth, so when you think of its full size that does not leave much. This is why I get annoyed when I see them offered at the LFS, all 4" and cute! People do not realize what they are getting into, though you obviously have done your homework, fletberbill. I too think pacu might work (did I just say that???)
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2004, 07:19 PM   #10

im sorry to say but if there was only one fish on this planet that i could house with him and it was a pacu he would be staying on his own. I really cannot see the attraction with a pacu

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com