Tank by a Window Impossible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Mom wants a fish tank for an end table by the window. I found a 16 gallon bowfront (she loves the curved glass) that would be good for the fish she wants. She will have at least 3 ottos (Im tryin to talk her into 6....) The tank will have a backing on it to block some sunlight but it may be kiddie cornered so obviously some sunlight will get in. Is this possible to maintain?

Sunlight's not a bad thing, it's actually quite good for the tank. Yes too much can lead to algae but it's not that bad. Let me find my book, there's a quote in there about tanks and sunlights I'll have to find...

I have a tank that gets sunlight, i have just blocked off the side that gets it with black paper because black absorbs it and doesnt get into the tank, also adds a nice touch to the tank

Tank by Window

Good morning Fan...

A tank by a window is entirely possible. Venitian blinds work well to block the direct sunlight, which will create water temperature problems if you're not careful.

Get the tank well planted from the beginning and do your 50 percent water changes weekly and your algae problems will be minimal.

Above everything else, have fun!

B

The otos will take care of the algae, however, I would not have more than 3 in a 16 gallon. Their food supply would run out.

Otto and pleco do not remove window algae(round green spot). But they do like hair algae a lot. In a 16 gallon don't add pleco bridgestone. Add Otto.

BBradbury said:
Good morning Fan...

A tank by a window is entirely possible. Venitian blinds work well to block the direct sunlight, which will create water temperature problems if you're not careful.

Get the tank well planted from the beginning and do your 50 percent water changes weekly and your algae problems will be minimal.

Above everything else, have fun!

B

Like he say, you got to find a way to stabilize your temperature. Stability is the key for a great aquarium.

Ok thanks yall! She got a 26 bowfront! lol suprise!

Back
Top Bottom