Tank Capacity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry this is a really dumb question :oops: but how do you calculate how many fish you can have in a tank? I've read its 1cm of fish per 25cm2 of water but I'm struggling to work that out

So if my tank measures
Depth 28 cm
Height 34 cm
Width 75 cm

... how many fish?

Thanks
Paul

The average rule of thumb is 1" per gallon, but that is a general rule only. The type of fish and the amount of waste they produce will play a factor. For example, gold fish need about 10 gals per fish, while guppies are not big waste producers and you can have several in a 10 gal tank. What kinds of fish are you looking at?

approx 63 litres :)

by your 1cm to 25cm2 thats 1200 cm of fish? I think that's a little high :)

IME an inch of fish per gallon is closer to aim for - and thats 15 inches, better to aim for, and still only as guideline since there are so many variables such as your filtration capacity.

Also bear in mind that fish grow - so that measurement should be for the max size of the fish once mature.

Zagz said:
The average rule of thumb is 1" per gallon, but that is a general rule only. The type of fish and the amount of waste they produce will play a factor. For example, gold fish need about 10 gals per fish, while guppies are not big waste producers and you can have several in a 10 gal tank. What kinds of fish are you looking at?

We've got
2 clown loaches
1 siamese flying fox
3 adult mollies
3 black widows
2 danios

but the mollies have had babies so we've got another 10 that are now 2cms in length and another 25+ new born

So I reckon its well over stocked, I've asked at the LFS but they don't buy fish so I'm going to advertise them in the local paper, I can't bring myself to kill them

clown loach adult size = ~10inches

sounds like it's roughly a 15gallon tank. the loachs and siamese can stay in there for a while, but after a year they'll need new homes.

In the future, do plenty of research on planned fish before purchasing them. Its entirely too easy to end up with tank busters (like your average 'common pleco' that'll hit 14 inches in under 3 years), or fish that are far too aggressive for the rest of your tank mates.

I'd have to agree the loaches will get too big. The others are fine in the tank. If you talk to the lfs maybe they would take the loaches and siamese on credit? I certainly agree that killing them is not an option. If you have a local aquarium society check with them about posting them for sale. Even the baby mollies when they get a bit bigger.

Back
Top Bottom