Tank Cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feynman

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I'm new to the hobby... I had a 10gal when I was growing up, but now I have my first job and I therefore had to go buy my "first" tank.

I am wondering what the best method for cleaning a fish tank is. I have a gravel vaccum which I try to use twice a month along with replacing about 1/4 of the water. Does this seem about right? Also, are there any tips about the details of cleaning? For example, I've been taking out all the plants and rocks to wash them in hot water while I do the vaccum, but I'm worried about stressing the fish too much. Is this ok for the fish or how do you guys do it?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Oops!

I forgot to mention my tank...

I have a 38 gal tank with no live plants, I thought I would figure out how to take care of fish first. I have an african butterfly, african knifefish, some tetras and danios.

That sounds fine. I only wash my plants when they look dirty. The hold some of your beneficial bacteria

[center:2f943fdf9e] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Feynman! :n00b: [/center:2f943fdf9e]
There's no need to remove rocks or plants every time. If they are very dirty, then go ahead and rise them. Doing a 25% water change while vacuuming the gravel every other week sounds good.
My fake plants get a touch of algea, but my pleco takes care of it, or when I can't stand it, I clean it.

Your method sounds good. If you have a bigger tank now, IMO it's definitely worth purchasing a Python siphon system so you don't have to haul buckets.

Back
Top Bottom