Tank Cleaning Before Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thaiboxer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

I have a tank cleaning question... I just bought a 125 gallon tank that I'm currently cleaning. Everything is going well, except three possible issues:

1. Water marks. I know this sounds funny, but bear with me. The tank is used, and it looks like it sat mostly full for quite a while after the previous owner's fish died. There are water stains on the top 3" all the way around that won't come off. I've used a bleach/water combo with a green scrubby pad with no luck. Any ideas for cleaning the glass w/o negative effects on future inhabitants? Something strong.

2. The stand isn't super pretty. It's particle board with laminate covering. Has anyone tried scuffing laminate, then painting it? I'm thinking it would look better if it were flat black.

3. The stand is short. Not super short, but I'd like it about 6" higher. I'm thinking about building a platform for the stand to set on. Something very sturdy. I know how and have a plan in my mind, but is this smart? There will be about 1400 lbs resting on it...

Should I just buy a new stand? They're expensive, but I will if I have to.

Thanks!

1 White vinegar (5% acetic acid) should remove most water marks. Saturate some paper towels and let them lay in contact with the dirty glass for a few minutes. Be sure to rinse well with water afterward.

2 I've never had any luck painting laminate - even after deglossing it. Eventually, the paint will peel off especially when exposed to moisture. I would buy a sheet of black laminate and a tub of liquid nails from your local Home Depot and simply cover the existing laminate.

3 Make a box with 2 x 6 dimensional lumber set on its side and add a few cross pieces 12 inches on center. Cover with 3/4 inch plywood and use 3 inch wood screws to secure everything together. This will be super strong - probably stronger than the subflooring your tank is currently sitting on.

The only laminated thing I ever tried to paint was my entertainment center.
Your typical Sauder assembly required thing.

I took some fine grain sand paper and sanded all the surfaces I wanted to paint. You don't have to sand it all the way down, but you'll want to make sure that the entire surface has been touched. Then I used a gray primer and let that dry overnight. The next day I gave it a coat of black, waited about half a day and then gave it another coat of black. Another overnight drying session and then set it up.

I have spilled water on it several times watering some plants that I have on it and I've had no peeling.

HTH

I looked in the DIY section, and may build a stand. It'd be really nice, and cheaper than buying one new. Thanks for the vinegar tip, I'll try it tonight!

If the vinegar is still not working then get a razor blade and that should help. Laminate is easy to paint if you use the right materials. Scuffing it is helpful but then buy a really great primer. And melamene paint is the stuff used to counter tops. It is hard to work with but won't come off and is super hard.

And if the razor blade + vinegar doesn't work, pickup some swimming pool cleaner, this contains usually hydrochloric(muriatic) acid. Dilute a little bit so you don't burn a hole in anything (like your face) and brush some on to soak.

Wear gloves and grunge clothes and some goggles too. 8)

Let us know how it turns out.

Snapcrackler is bringing out the heavy guns. :D Muriatic acid can also be found in the paint department of any home center. Please do wear gloves and eye protection!!

I would also suggest Lime-Away(for humidifiers and such), but I'm reluctant because I'm not sure what is in these products. At least acids can be rinsed away.

And then after your done using all the WMDs wash the tank thoroughly with NON-IODIZED salt. Then rinse very well. :D

I didn't get a chance to do this last night - instead went to Home Depot and priced the wood for my new stand :)

I will try the vinegar tonight. If that doesn't work, my brother has muriatic acid so I'll go with that. That had better work!

Of course all this advise works well for glass tanks, but I would take care if this is acylic.

Back
Top Bottom