Tank cleaning, gravel vac question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elliott_001

Aquarium Advice Freak
Whenever i do a pwc and gravel vac i have this small problem, and was just wondering if anyone else has the same thing, or has a solution.....

I start to syphon out water, whilst cleaning the sand, and sucking up the poop and debris, by the time i have removed as much water as i need to, i have usually got the sand pretty clean, and looking good.
So then i start to pour in the new water....by the time i have filled the tank, the distubance from adding the water has found more poop, and ruined the nice clean sand. Im sure this comes from the plant leaves and roots, which i cant easily access as i dont wat to damage any plants.
My tank is always clean, and the water is always fine, so this isnt going to cause major problems, its just a bit annoying, does anyone else have this kind of problem??

I have a lot of plants in my tank, and im sure this is why i can never seem to remove all the debris, god knows how people keep fully planted tanks clean!?

Yeah I get this too but with gravel. But most getts sucked up in the filter when I start them I have accually started just stirring up the water with a long plastic cooking spoon(new rinsed never washed)every other day or so the filter getts more stuff and I find less on bottom now when I do my cleanings.

If you can get help with the water changes, get someone to hold their hand in the tank while you pour the water over their hand. This will keep the water from going directly into your sand bed, and instead be diverted to the sides.

I'd suggest taking a piece of tubaware to pour your fresh water into first, letting it overflow into the tank. Holding the top edge of the container about half an inch above the water line seems to give the best effect to dulling/eliminating the whiplash effect.
Good luck.

Thanks for all of your advice, that should stop the distubance.

How do people keep there planted tanks clean? (the fully planted tanks, cant see substrate tanks!??)

use a saucer plate, thats what i do, works great, my fish love it, they think its a waterfall or something...crazy fish

Back
Top Bottom